StoryMaps: QR Code for individual tour points

12-11-2020 12:52 PM
jstark_mercernj
New Contributor II

I would like to be able to generate QR codes for individual stops on a self-guided tour within a Story in StoryMaps. I work in parks and we have signs near particular natural features and would like patrons to be guided to specific points, rather than entire stories when they scan a QR code. Is this possible? As far as I can tell the link that can be generated once the story is published is for the story map itself, and cannot be tailored to guide to a specific part of the story.

Tags (2)
15 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi -- Thanks for your question. We are currently looking at providing the ability to create links to specific places in a story in a future release. We don't have a specific timeframe for when this will be available, but we are looking at it for the upcoming year.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
maryandrews
New Contributor III

Hello Owen,

Have you been able to add this functionality yet?  Hoping to generate QR codes for specific places in the story map.  If you haven't been able to implement this, do you have a timeframe for when you will?

Thanks,

Mary

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@maryandrews -- It's not there yet, but we are working towards it. There are several other pieces of this that we need to add first. For example, last month we added the ability to link to headings in a story. Now we're working on the next step, which is to expand that capability to subheadings. After that we'll work on adding links for tour stops. I think it should be available sometime in Q3 of this year, but we don't have it planned for a specific release at this time.

One thing to note is that links will not be available for data-driven tours (that is, tours created from an ArcGIS feature service). This is due to a technical limitation to how those types of tours work.

Owen Evans
maryandrews
New Contributor III

@OwenGeo Thank you!  

0 Kudos
JohnWisdom2
New Contributor

Any update on this? I have a client that would like this functionality. If it won't be available soon (Spring 2022), I'll need to come up with an alternative method.

thanks,

John

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@JohnWisdom2 -- Unfortunately this feature will not be available this spring. While it's still on our list, it has not been prioritized for development at this time.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
JohnWisdom2
New Contributor

OK, thanks for the reply.

John

0 Kudos
fynboen
New Contributor

Hi Owen,

I just want to make sure that i understand this correctly,
If i would want to create a link for a certain part of my StoryMaps, it would only be possible through headings? And it is only possible to make 10 headings in a StoryMap, right?

Sigurd

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@fynboen -- You can link to any heading in the main part of your story or a sidecar. You can have as many headings in a story as you like.

Could you please share where you found information that indicated there is a limit on the number of headings so we can correct that, if needed?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos