story map disappeared

10-16-2019 11:51 AM
KDiver
by
New Contributor

My student was using the new story maps platform this week. She went to work on the story map again today and cannot find it. There is no evidence of her story map in either her My Stories or ArcGIS Online content. She tried restarting the apps, logging out and back in, etc with no luck. Any idea of a solution?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
JosephKerski
Esri Notable Contributor

Oh gosh yes!  This happens ALL The time!   We need to write some helpful guidelines soon about this very issue and post them. --Joseph 

0 Kudos
InaAhern
New Contributor III

Another issue I experienced last year was when the "login with Google" option became available.  Students are used to using that option to access online textbooks and other resources.  At my school we are not using single sign on, the AGO accounts are created specifically in the school ArcGIS Online Organization.  One of my students elected to "sign in with Google" and in so doing created a new public account with his google user name.  It took me quite a few minutes to figure out why he didn't have the analysis options that he should have had, and then a while longer for the student to make copies of the work he had done in his public account and get them back to his organization account.

0 Kudos
LucZwartjes1
New Contributor III

I think the problem is with the linkage to the gmail account.

Strange things happened when the group of students (who don't have the association account, was not in my school) made a new account using the option to lig in with gmail:

- some could log in immediately, so with their gmail they came into the platform of story maps 

- others logged in with their gmail but instead of arriving at the start page of the story maps platform they got a window stating to make a new public account - as if the login with gmail didn't work, so they made a new public account

but - and this is strange - appartently their first attempt with gmail did work. So they should have denied that new window, or in fact that shouldn't have appeared.

And this caused the problem that after a week the student didn't know anymore which account she used and was afraid she lost everything

Luc

0 Kudos
CharlieFitzpatrick
Esri Regular Contributor

This is where it helps to do the step of "Hey ArcGIS Online, tell me all the accounts attached to this email." Go to https://www.arcgis.com/home/troubleshoot.html and enter your email address (do this for each email address you might have used, both work and personal). Within a minute, the system will email back to that address a list of all ArcGIS Online usernames attached to that email, from 1 to hundreds. If the email doesn't show in 5 minutes, check your spam filters, where it could have been caught. If there's clearly no email and nothing in spam filters (do you and your institution both have filters?), it's good to try it a second time. (If there are NO logins attached to a given email address, there will not be a response email.) The system will also show which logins belong to an Org (and which Org) and which have Esri access enabled.

0 Kudos
GemMontes
New Contributor

Hi OwenGeo. Mine has disappeared too. Do you think you might be able to help me find it? Email: gemmontes@aol.com.

Thanks

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@GemMontes -- Please follow the troubleshooting steps above. If you are unable to find your story in another account that you have, please contact Esri Technical Support.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos