Story Map App - Adding a Map

06-12-2020 02:54 PM
RyanFortier
New Contributor III
My son and I are working on a story map documenting his hockey season. I am having an issue with a certain aspect though. 
I created a web map with directions from one point to another. The route layer created has 4 sublayers (Stops, DirectionPoints, DirectionLines, and RouteInfo) I have turned off all except Stops and RouteInfo. I have attached a picture of the web map we created. 
When I try to add this map (yes I saved it) into the story map it goes back to the default map with all the original sublayers selected and the original styling. (Also attached - StoryMap)
When I add the map in, there is the option on the left hand pane to edit the map before inserting it, however this brings me bag to the web map I created with (some layers turned off, route colour/size changed).
Long story short, the map I am able to select/edit is not the map being inserted into the story map.
0 Kudos
10 Replies
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Hey Ryan Fortier‌, 

Have you tried saving the route info and stops layers as their own feature, adding them back into the map and saving? The first thing that comes to mind is that the storymap may be reading it as a routing layer and displaying it as such. 

Shane 

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

0 Kudos
RyanFortier
New Contributor III

Thanks Shane,

Earlier today I added the webmap into pro and exported the 2 layers I wanted, then used that data in another webmap, which seemed to work. When I called tech support in Canada they seemed to think it could be a bug. They told me there have been some issues with the "edit map" feature in the new story app.

0 Kudos
ShaneMiles
Esri Contributor

Hey Ryan Fortier‌, 

No problem, seems you have it covered. I am glad you were able to get it sorted and Esri Canada support are now tracking the issue. 

Shane 

If this answer was helpful please mark it as helpful. If this answer solved your question please mark it as the answer to help others who have the same question.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ryan -- I love that you are working on a story related to hockey! (We are a hockey family as well.). But I'm sorry you are having an issue with one of the maps. I am not aware of any issues with the Edit in ArcGIS button as mentioned above, but there is a possibility that you are running into a layer configuration that is supported in the 3.x JSAPI (used by the ArcGIS.com map viewer) but not the 4.x JSAPI (which ArcGIS StoryMaps uses). That could be why you are seeing something different in your web map when viewed in the map viewer as opposed to the story builder.

The JSAPI is the technology that Esri has developed to use create and use maps on the web. StoryMaps uses the latest 4.x version. Can you try opening up your map in the new beta map viewer? That also uses the 4.x version of the JSAPI, so if it's something not supported in 4.x you'd see the same issue there as you did in StoryMaps.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
RyanFortier
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

I am getting a similar result here. When I select "Open existing map" I see all the maps my son has in his content. The image for each map is the map we stylized ourselves, but when the map opens it has all of the components of the route layer included.

Is there a workaorund for this?

0 Kudos
RyanFortier
New Contributor III

On the left is the map I selected, however it opens with the the original route layer symbology on the right.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Ryan -- that screenshot is the classic map viewer, not the beta. One way to open your map in the beta is to go to the web map item page, then click the drop down next to the Open in Map Viewer button.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Alternatively, can you just share the web map with everyone and share a link here so we can check it out?

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
RyanFortier
New Contributor III

When opening the map with the beta viewer it displays the map with the orginal route layer, but when opening in the older 3.x version, it opens with the  my son and I created.

The screenshot I provided you was the beta viewer, however I selected the "open existing map" on the left side pane. The map I selected to open and the map that actually loaded were not the same.

Here is the link.

https://arcg.is/1q4nXS 

0 Kudos