Rookie question re: Labeling pins on sketch layers in WebMaps

11-10-2021 03:24 PM
KateCostello
New Contributor II

I feel like there has to be an obvious answer to this question that I am missing, but I've tinkered for a while and am not finding it.

I can add a legend to a WebMap. I can add a pin in a sketch layer on a WebMap. What I can't seem to do is add explanatory text to the pins, or link a pin to a location description in a legend,

So, right now I have a map with pretty and colorful pushpin icons on it. 

I hav e a legend that shows the title of each layer.

What I don't have is "Norwood Young America Public Library" or "Minneapolis Central Library" (or what have you) associated with the pin on the place where the Central Library (or whatever) is.

If I double click on a pin it will give me a box that asks "what's here" and if I fiddle with that sometimes it points me to the full street address and formal name of a  location.  I'd love to tell the dialog box what's there more simply, but don't seem to be able to do that.

I'd happily tinker with this for the rest of the evening because figuring stuff out on my own really is fun. But, unfortunately there is Library School Homework to be done and the materials I'm assigned to work with aren't going to catalog themselves so I need to go do that.

Thank you very much for any advice you can give.

KAC

3 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @KateCostello! Thanks for posting your question. You may get better answers by posting this to the map viewer board since that's where most of the conversations about sketching tools and other parts of the ArcGIS Online map viewer happen.

From what you're describing, though, I'm wondering if an express map might work for you. Express maps are created right inside the story builder and have labeling and annotation tools that might be helpful for your use case. Check out this article and see what you think: What is an express map and why should you use one? (esri.com).

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
KateCostello
New Contributor II

Hi! I will take a look at the map viewer board.

I agree an express map would definitely work better for me... except... I'm trying to create a swipe feature so have to use a web map.  I understand the StoryMaps wizards are working on making Express Maps work with swipe but that feature isn't available yet. This map is for an MLIS class project, and it's due at Thanksgiving, so we can't count on it being functional in time. Otherwise, I would use Express Maps for sure.

Thank you for the help!

KAC

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@KateCostello -- You are correct, swipe with express maps won't be available until December. Darn! Sorry the timing for this one doesn't work out for your project. 😞 

One last idea...if you don't require map interactivity in your swipe you could create some scratch express maps to look however you want, then take screenshots and use those to create a swipe with those images.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos