Is there any way to stop a video from automatically playing when it's included in a section in the Story Maps: guided tour?

Jump to solution
08-13-2020 11:20 AM
AdamN
by
New Contributor II

I have included the new guided tour block into a Story Map and put a video in it. When I scroll to the section with the video, it starts playing automatically.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

For anyone who may not have seen this, uploaded videos in guided tours, sidecars, and inline in the main part of a story all have playback options so you can customize how the video behaves.

For more info see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (March 2021) (esri.com)

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 11.00.23 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Adam -- Currently videos autoplay in guided tours. Could you please share some information about why you'd rather require reader interaction? If we better understand your use case we can consider this option in the future.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
BradMitchell
New Contributor

I am using Storymaps for a presentation at a local fair. I am embedding a Youtube video and have the HTML code set to Auto Play. I wish there was a way for Storymaps "Autoplay" to halt while the youtube video is being played. Then resume once the video is over. 

I really think there is something missing here that could be huge for most everybody. 

0 Kudos
AdamN
by
New Contributor II

I was helping someone else with this question, but I believe they intended to use their storymap as a presentation in front of an audience instead of having it be self-guided.

In this scenario, they found it unfortunate that they had to pause the video whenever they scrolled to a new section.

0 Kudos
SusanCarlson
New Contributor III

We are also interested in this option. We'd like to be able to add an audio controller into the Guided Tour in the text panel, similar to the older style Guided Tour. Since we can't do that we're turning static images into videos with the audio added to it. For the user it's not readily apparent that audio is playing since the sound is off by default. We'd need to add instructions. It would be great to have the option to turn auto audio/video on /off in the setting options. 

JohnDiDiego
New Contributor

Was this ever solved.  I am having the same issues with autoplay videos.

RodriguezIvonneITD
New Contributor II

It is good to have it ONLY in the cover page automatically playing, but not inside the tour-map or side card. Not good!

Ivonne

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

For anyone who may not have seen this, uploaded videos in guided tours, sidecars, and inline in the main part of a story all have playback options so you can customize how the video behaves.

For more info see What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (March 2021) (esri.com)

Screen Shot 2022-07-21 at 11.00.23 AM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
RodriguezIvonneITD
New Contributor II

It seems to me that this has to do with the ESRI/your job company) privileges, I don't see this option (Display - Playback - Properties) in my StoryMaps options...

0 Kudos
RodriguezIvonneITD
New Contributor II

Sorry, I got it, Not a privilege issue/

You can use this options when you download the video from your computer, but it doesn't give me the option when you use the link to add the video or embed it. That options do not exist when adding as a link .

0 Kudos