I was wondering if anyone has had this issue. I am working within the Sidecar template and for each slide I want to add a web map (the same web map) that relates to the information I am trying to convey on the left-hand side text area. However, after about 12 slides total (between 3 different Sidecars), the "add map" menu crashes as it tries to load the list of recent maps and I am unable to proceed further. I've tried deleting the Sidecar and recreating it with no luck and I've tried clearing my browser cache to no avail. I am not sure at this point whether I have reached some sort of invisible resource limit or if this is simply a bug that hasn't been ironed out in the StoryMap builder. Any help would be appreciated.
@Shanathan526 -- I apologize that you are running into an issue creating your story. We have tested sidecars with maps and other media with more than 12 slides and haven't seen this issue. It might be something specific with your maps or other content.
Please contact Esri Support and they can help you troubleshoot.
@ChelseaDel_Grande - How may layers are in each of your maps? That is the most important factor in not overloading a particular story. Even if layers are not visible, having them added to a map consumes significant memory resources. If you have a map that has a lot of layers (more than say 5 or 6), especially one that you are using in multiple places in a story, it will help if you create individual maps with fewer layers and use them in your story.
@OwenGeoAppreciate the response - that would have been something different to try. Every time I got past 4 or 5 (two swipe sliders) it crashed. It would load for the first view, but not able to scroll back up and view, or add new maps. When I removed maps within the storymap it didn't restore the functionality of being able to add maps again, so had to recreate the storymap 4 times. I tried removing all the irrelevant layers so it was just what I needed (around 10 - 15 in the map - two turned on in storymap), and set the visibility to state and country level. I'm thinking maybe it didn't like that I had a few tile layers that were high resolution (which I tried to limit with the visibility). Cleared my cache, restarted computer. Anyway, I ended up removing the sidecar and it works. Not as clean looking, but as long as it works! Thanks -
I'm sorry you had to recreate your story a few times. As mentioned above, it's really the number of layers that is the primary factor. Detailed/high-res layers are perfectly fine.
Even 10 layers is still way too many if you are adding that map to the story multiple times (that's 10+ layers times the number of times you've added the map, including 2x for each swipe). Even layers that are not turned on consume memory resources.
Creating maps for storytelling is different than creating a map for analysis or for use in an exploratory GIS application. We recommend creating maps with a small number of layers to use in your story. This helps provide a simple experience for readers and also helps with performance.