iFrames not displaying on mobile phone

Jump to solution
08-21-2020 01:23 PM
KellieWard
New Contributor

I am trying to embed iFrame charts from a couple different providers in a StoryMap, including Flourish and Evervitz. They display fine on desktop and tablet but don't display on my phone. To view, you have to click a link to view the chart in a new window. See screenshot.

I'm assuming this is a setting within StoryMaps because each embed from the different sites look the same on my phone. Is there an interactive charting option that will display on mobile? I want my story to be viewable without extra clicks on all devices. I can just create static images if that's the only workaround. 

Here is my draft story page: Sign In 

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kellie -- This is not currently possible, but we are looking at providing more flexibility in this area.

Displaying embedded web content in a small frame on a phone often produces a bad experience in terms of performance and/or usability, so our treatment of requiring readers to open content in a new tab provides the most screen real estate and available resources to maximize the chances for a good reader experience.

Authors also have the option of providing an alternative image to display instead of the card. The image isn't interactive, but may be preferable over showing a card/link.

However, like you've mentioned, there are certainly some cases where showing the embed on the phone can work. We don't have a specific timeline on when this would be available, but stay tuned for more embed options in a future update.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi Kellie -- This is not currently possible, but we are looking at providing more flexibility in this area.

Displaying embedded web content in a small frame on a phone often produces a bad experience in terms of performance and/or usability, so our treatment of requiring readers to open content in a new tab provides the most screen real estate and available resources to maximize the chances for a good reader experience.

Authors also have the option of providing an alternative image to display instead of the card. The image isn't interactive, but may be preferable over showing a card/link.

However, like you've mentioned, there are certainly some cases where showing the embed on the phone can work. We don't have a specific timeline on when this would be available, but stay tuned for more embed options in a future update.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
RyanBohan
Occasional Contributor III

I've started adding a duplicate webmap and try to form the story, so it is not two distracting to have both a webmap and a webapp displays on larger screens.  That way at least I get an interactive map to show on a mobile screen.  The webapp still shows as a card, but I assume most people just ignore it.

I fully understand there are limitations to what should be displayed on a mobile screen.  I really wish there was a way to include alternative map instead of a card.  Since webapps and dashboards get turned into cards on mobile screens.

0 Kudos