Get Started button in Storymaps Collections

Jump to solution
02-01-2022 06:09 AM
MartinDurand1
New Contributor II

Hi, my organisation works both in French and English.  So when I developed a Collection of Storymaps I was able to customize the titles and menus in French, except for the Get Started button.  Would it be possible to allow users to format that button so we can wrtie in any languages we want?

Thanks 

Martin D.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MartinDurand1 -- @MattiasEkström's is correct, that that button will translate based on the reader's browser language. The locale URL parameter tip will also work, but that is really intended for testing so it won't always be transferred/added when other share the collection, so it's not a complete solution.

We are working on bringing the story language feature over to collections so that you can configure the language of your collection just like you can for a story.We're also looking at adding an option to remove or customize the text on that button as well. These are on our list of things we hope to add this year, but we don't have a specific timeline for them yet.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The collection language setting was added in May 2022. See this blog for more details: What's new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (May 2022) (esri.com)

Owen Evans

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

The text on that button is translated based on your browsers laguage, for me it's in swedish for example.

But you can force the site to use some other language by inlcuding an URL parameter for that.

For french just add   ?locale=fr   to the URL.

MartinDurand1
New Contributor II

Thanks Mattias for the tip. It does work now.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MartinDurand1 -- @MattiasEkström's is correct, that that button will translate based on the reader's browser language. The locale URL parameter tip will also work, but that is really intended for testing so it won't always be transferred/added when other share the collection, so it's not a complete solution.

We are working on bringing the story language feature over to collections so that you can configure the language of your collection just like you can for a story.We're also looking at adding an option to remove or customize the text on that button as well. These are on our list of things we hope to add this year, but we don't have a specific timeline for them yet.

Owen Evans
MartinDurand1
New Contributor II

Thanks Owen, that is great to hear that you are working on bringing the story language feature over to collections so that users can configure the language of our collection just like we can for a story. Adding an option to customize that button would also be welcomed. In the meantime, I will just use the workaround since not all my users have their browsers set up accordingly.

Martin

AGP
by
Occasional Contributor

@OwenGeo -- In addition to adding the language feature to collections, texts in different languages should be reviewed.

In Spanish 'Collection' is translated as 'Captura' which is not the right translation in this context and should be replaced by 'Recopilación'.

For the 'Start' button, 'Empezar' would be a more suitable translation. 'Empezar a trabajar' is confusing.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@AGP - Thanks for the feedback. I will provide this information to our translation contractor for consideration.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

The collection language setting was added in May 2022. See this blog for more details: What's new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (May 2022) (esri.com)

Owen Evans
0 Kudos