Error message when trying to view public storymap

Jump to solution
03-23-2022 06:46 PM
TylerMcIntosh
New Contributor II

Hi there, 

I've just published a storymap publicly, but when I logged out and used the link to try to pull it up, I got an error message that says:"Hmm... There seems to be an issue. There was a problem accessing this story or this page. Please try again or contact your ArcGIS administrator." 

We don't have an ArcGIS administrator... or if we do, it's me. Has anyone else had this problem? I've emailed Esri customer support and will update if they can figure it out. 

Here's the link, in case anyone else wants to try: https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/a6eb5ff5dc354f81ad4a92eae302206e

Tags (3)
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TylerMcIntosh - I'm happy to report this issue has been fixed! Sorry for the long wait, but it took a while to find a feasible solution for this one.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
TylerMcIntosh
New Contributor II

I should add that I did get a pop up saying something about my map layers not being verified or something when I published it. I ignored this since I created the map layers. Maybe that has something to do with the issue. 

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TylerMcIntosh - This is a known issue that we are not happy about and actively trying to resolve. The reason for this is when you access a story when logged in, it gets cached with your logged in state. Then when you try to access the story when logged-out, it's not visible because of the way it was previously cached.

Unfortunately there isn't a straightforward way for us to resolve this while keeping the level of performance in other situations, but we are evaluating a few different approaches and hope to address this at some point in the near future.

As a workaround, you can always access the story in a fresh incognito or private browsing window.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@TylerMcIntosh - I'm happy to report this issue has been fixed! Sorry for the long wait, but it took a while to find a feasible solution for this one.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
IdrisHalimaOhunene
New Contributor

Hello Owen. I seem to be having the exact same problem. I can only view my storymaps on an incognito browser. I cant edit it as well. Please help 

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/9050e835ff3f47ef87f21f6b7685f85a

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/77e7b7746a7d4029bfbd88941f8e9440

Thank you!!!

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@IdrisHalimaOhunene - Have you tried clearing your browser cache or using a different browser?

If you can't edit your story this sounds like a different issue. Please contact Esri Support and they can help you troubleshoot.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
SCVOSAGIS_Program
New Contributor II

@OwenGeowe are experiencing the same issue. It only appeared after the new Story Maps update was issued around the holidays. Was the bug-fix overwritten somehow? The error appears after a few moments on the StoryMap, regardless of browser, logged-in vs logged-out, or normal vs incognito mode on browser. We have a ticket with Esri support as well, but wanted to +1 on this thread that what seems to be the same issue is not fixed.

0 Kudos