Select to view content in your preferred language

Data driven map tour - features images and descriptions appear, but no points on map

Jump to solution
08-15-2022 08:00 AM
Labels (1)
Kim_Graham
New Contributor III

I am working on a data driven map tour using the new storymaps.  At one point, I republished the tour points and now points will not appear on the map.  The images and details appear, so they're there, but the map now simply centers on a world view and no points appear.  When you scroll through the tour points, the map does not move.  Any ideas as to how to fix this?  Thanks!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Brian_Carson
New Contributor

I ran through some testing today and found this is related to the projection used in the map we are publishing from.

If the feature class is on any datum other than NAD83, or WGS84, we see the attachments, but the points do not display, and the map zooms to a global extent when added to the map tour. This difference is caused by the projection of the map that we are publishing from which was set when the feature class was first added.

I was able to get around this by adding the feature class to a map in ArcGIS Pro, setting the map coordinate system to Web Mercator, apply the correct transformation, and then publish.

That resulted in points which displayed and highlighted based on hovering over the attachment in the left pane of the Map Tour. 

View solution in original post

6 Replies
JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

I'm having the same problem. Did you find a solution?

0 Kudos
Kim_Graham
New Contributor III

No, unfortunately I haven't.  I have a few things I want to try today, I will let you know if any of them work...

0 Kudos
Kim_Graham
New Contributor III

Hi Justin - Brian's post below fixed this issue for me.  I hope it works for you as well!

Brian_Carson
New Contributor

I ran through some testing today and found this is related to the projection used in the map we are publishing from.

If the feature class is on any datum other than NAD83, or WGS84, we see the attachments, but the points do not display, and the map zooms to a global extent when added to the map tour. This difference is caused by the projection of the map that we are publishing from which was set when the feature class was first added.

I was able to get around this by adding the feature class to a map in ArcGIS Pro, setting the map coordinate system to Web Mercator, apply the correct transformation, and then publish.

That resulted in points which displayed and highlighted based on hovering over the attachment in the left pane of the Map Tour. 

JustinConnerWR
Occasional Contributor II

Brian's solution worked for me. I created the map in a local projection for the paper brochure and much later without thinking about it published to AGOL for a story map.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

I'm glad everyone on this thread was able to find a solution for this issue!

We have been working on adding support to map tour for feature layers in non-WM projections and will be releasing that enhancement later today. So in the future the extra steps won't be necessary, and you'll be able to use the source data in its original projection.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos