Select to view content in your preferred language

Bug in the latest (last week) Storymap update

a week ago
Labels (3)
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

Hello, 

After last week's update to the Storymap app, we cannot embed the "outsourced" links to a Storymap. For example, each of my Storymap projects contains an embedded code of the Tableau dashboard. It worked great until last Thursday (June 6), but it no longer works. We reported this issue to esri ( a new bug BUG-000168236), but it doesn't look like tech support cares about this issue - no timeframe or any valuable information was given to us. Is this an issue that is on the Story team's radar and will be attempting soon?

Thank you,

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@YelenaCummings -- I'm sorry you are experiencing an issue with embedding Tableau dashboards in your stories. I did look up the bug you referenced and it appears to have only been submitted yesterday. I assure you that Esri cares about this issue, and we want to get it resolved for you as soon as possible, but there is a process for verifying bugs, so please be patient.

In the meantime, could you please provide some of the Tableau links that previously worked for us to test? There were no links or additional details included in the bug report.

Please be aware that the last time ArcGIS StoryMaps was updated was May 29, not June 6. See the release notes for more information: Release notes—ArcGIS StoryMaps | Documentation. I'm not sure if that makes a difference in the timeline for your troubleshooting.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

Hi Owen,

Thank you for your reply. About the bug, we opened the tech support case last Thursday, and it hasn't gone well (but this is a different issue).  So, the Tableau links format that we were embedding for the last two years is https://public.tableau.com/views/TableauCalFireL2881/TravelTStandardDashboard?:language=en-US&:sid=&... (that dashboard I embedded without problem a week or so ago), but get an error message now. (see attached).  Also, the Storymap application doesn't honor the embedded iframe size. E.g. - the Insights or (Experience builder) app doesn't display in full length while it embedded to the Storymap (it worked before the latest update)

As example: <iframe width="1040" height="1100" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen src=" https://experience.arcgis.com/experience/2272745d64fe4c218af3eaafc23e1c70"></iframe>

0 Kudos
YelenaCummings
New Contributor III

Hi Owen, 

Thank you for your response. Here is one of the Tableau that I was able to embed without any issues early last week and unable to do so now. (We have been embedding similar links for the last few years without any issues until last week).    https://public.tableau.com/views/TableauCalFireL2881/TravelTStandardDashboard?:language=en-US&:sid=&...

I found a way around it to embed the app as the iframe. But then, the story map app no longer honors the iframe size (after the last update) when embedded in the Storymap.  Even when the iframe code comes from other esri applications (Dashboard or Experience Builder), the iframes with sizes width= “1040” height “1060”  and width= “640” height “360” will be displayed in Storymap as the exact sizes. If you put the iframe around the Tableau link (as above), the option to display it in different sizes or formats is unavailable (again, it was there before last week). 

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @YelenaCummings ,

Just wanted to respond here and let you know the StoryMaps team is looking into this behavior. The iframe dimensions set are not consistently getting honored, depending on the embedded content. We will continue to update here with our findings to hopefully allow that embed to not require a horizontal scroll to see all of the content.

--Abby 

0 Kudos
AbbyE_Esri
Esri Contributor

Hi @YelenaCummings ,

Just providing another update here that the StoryMaps team is currently in contact with Embed.ly, our embed provider, regarding the loss of ability to embed live Tableau workbooks into our product. We are still actively investigating the issue and will let you know of any updates or workarounds from Embed.ly if we receive them.

--Abby

0 Kudos