Adding existing lines to Storymap Tours

Jump to solution
06-28-2022 03:23 PM
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

Storymaps. These used to be created from webmaps where I had imported shapefiles. In my case, I add lines representing the travel route I have taken. In the new storymaps, the tour lets me upload my geotagged points and create tour stops, but there doesn't seem to be a way to add the route.

If I use my web map, there doesn't seem to be a way to add the tour stops - it just adds a new map to explore.

Am I missing something? This is for my personal travel log, and I'd really like it to show the roure.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

In the map tour's map options you can bring in your own web map to replace the default tour basemap. If your web map has layers, those layers will be visible in the tour. 

This is documented in Map tour building tips section here. (see screenshots below).

Change the default basemap in the Map tour map options settings. In the Change basemap panel, you can change the basemap to one of the following:

Theme basemaps—These basemaps are based on your selected theme and change as you apply different story themes from the design panel.

All basemaps—If you choose a basemap from the All basemaps section, the basemap persists even if the story theme is changed.

Web maps—Click Browse more maps to select a web map. You can select web maps from My MapsMy FavoritesMy GroupsMy Organization, and Living Atlas. For any map you select, all layers in the map appear in the map tour, but pop-ups are not available. Any changes made to the web map's contents are reflected in the tour.

We also have a tutorial with examples of how to build many different styles of tours, including one with a progress line (which actually uses a sidecar rather than a map tour).

And here are some more articles about map tours...

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.16.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.16.12 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

In the map tour's map options you can bring in your own web map to replace the default tour basemap. If your web map has layers, those layers will be visible in the tour. 

This is documented in Map tour building tips section here. (see screenshots below).

Change the default basemap in the Map tour map options settings. In the Change basemap panel, you can change the basemap to one of the following:

Theme basemaps—These basemaps are based on your selected theme and change as you apply different story themes from the design panel.

All basemaps—If you choose a basemap from the All basemaps section, the basemap persists even if the story theme is changed.

Web maps—Click Browse more maps to select a web map. You can select web maps from My MapsMy FavoritesMy GroupsMy Organization, and Living Atlas. For any map you select, all layers in the map appear in the map tour, but pop-ups are not available. Any changes made to the web map's contents are reflected in the tour.

We also have a tutorial with examples of how to build many different styles of tours, including one with a progress line (which actually uses a sidecar rather than a map tour).

And here are some more articles about map tours...

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.16.21 PM.jpg

Screen Shot 2022-06-28 at 11.16.12 PM.jpg

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
CelesteWalz
Occasional Contributor

THANK YOU. This solves a bunch of problems/questions for me. I guess I didn't drill down far enough to get to his solution. I really appreciate your help, Owen.

OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

We are also working on a new feature that will let you easily (right in the story builder) add lines between tour places to indicate the route and progression from one tour point to the next.

Owen Evans
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

FYI, the "tour progress lines" feature mentioned above was added to ArcGIS StoryMaps in Nov 2022.

What’s new in ArcGIS StoryMaps (November 2022) (esri.com)

Owen Evans
0 Kudos