508 Compliant Tables

Jump to solution
03-03-2020 10:39 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

We would like to build HTML tables in builder and I know the subject of HTML/CSS editing has been brought up ad nauseam by me but a co-worker had a question. Will there be a way to build 508 compliant tables that can be read with screen readers? Simply embedding an image of a table does not carry the table data along with it, and alt text solution describing the table seems arduous.

0 Kudos
16 Replies
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

Hi @MattiasEkström -- Adding support for tables depended on some deep updates we needed to do to our text editor, and that has been a significant project that we've been focusing on for the last several months. We're almost done with that, so that clears the way for us to work on tables in the near future.

Tables are a high priority for us, and it's on our list to get to in the first half of 2022.

Owen Evans
Lead Product Engineer | StoryMaps
0 Kudos
MattiasEkström
Occasional Contributor III

Thanks Owen, glad to hear it's coming soon!

0 Kudos
MattiasEkström

Hi @OwenGeo

Any news on tables? Is it still planned for the first half of 2022?

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MattiasEkström -- Our new text editor is in place and we started looking into tables. To do them right is a complex task and they are also related to other content layout enhancements we'd like to do, so this requires more preparation and thinking. Tables are still a priority, but they are now in our plans for the second half of this year.

Dates related to future features that we share here are using our best available information at the time and are subject to change.

Owen Evans
0 Kudos
MattiasEkström

Thanks for the update! I understand the dates here are estimations and not any guarantees or promises.

I keep my fingers crossed that it will come during the year.

MattiasEkström

@OwenGeo-- Do you have any more information on tables? Every update I hope to see this feature but still no luck.

0 Kudos
OwenGeo
Esri Notable Contributor

@MattiasEkström -- We have recently begun work on the design for adding simple tables to a story and hope to have this out in the first half of 2023.

Owen Evans