Search function, storymap

10-27-2020 05:14 AM
EmelieAxelsson
New Contributor II

In storymaps, there is a need to be able to search the text.

For example, if I want to search for all sections that include agricultural land.

Navigation bar helps to divide into sections but in text-rich storymaps it is still difficult to find what you specifically want to read about.

Tags (1)
6 Comments
OwenGeo

Hi @EmelieAxelsson -- Thanks for providing feedback on ArcGIS StoryMaps.

All web browsers have a text search that searches all the text on the page. Is there something that capability doesn't do that would require a dedicated search?

OwenGeo
Status changed to: Needs Clarification

EmelieAxelsson

EmelieAxelsson_1-1605887521097.png

It would be nice and easy to have a search box

OwenGeo

@EmelieAxelsson -- Thanks for the additional detail. I see what you are asking for; however, search boxes at the top of a page that look like the one you referenced typically search content across an entire website rather than perform a text search of the current page.

I will share this suggestion with our design team so they can evaluate it, but I believe they may have concerns that providing a search box like that might be misleading or confusing since it doesn't follow established web design patterns used widely on other sites and also because it would duplicate a standard page search feature of all web browsers.

by Anonymous User

@OwenGeo, what about the possibility of searching across multiple story maps in a collection?

I have a collection that has six story maps in it and they are pretty bulky, DRAFT Maine Forests, 2018. I received a comment for one of my colleagues about being able to search across the entire report.

An example from this report would be if I am at the beginning and want to find nonnative bush honeysuckle, which is four story maps in and half way down. Having a search function would be a lot more helpful versus having to go through each report to read what is in it and then scroll or click in the nav bar.

I know it has been brought up previously in another post about being able to link to different sections (Linking between slides/sections). That would be another useful option too.

Johan-Flodkvist

I would like to add a kudos to Bryans suggestion. 

This is an essential function if using Storymaps as a collection for information.