Select to view content in your preferred language

Option to auto-reset StoryMap to beginning after a defined period of inactivity

05-28-2024 12:49 PM
Labels (2)
FourCornersMapping
New Contributor III

I would like to be able to A) choose whether to reset the StoryMap to the beginning/top after a pre-defined period of inactivity, or B) a splash page opens after a period of inactivity offering the user an option to continue or read from the beginning. An example application would be in a museum exhibit where the StoryMap is being used as an interactive exhibit. People might not read the whole StoryMap and leave in the "middle" which might be confusing for the next visitor. Ideally, it would reset either automatically or give the viewer the option to reset to the beginning after a period of time, as determined by the StoryMap author in the editing stage.

4 Comments
PeterKnoop

Would be nice to have such user-inactivity timeout capabilities supported directly in ArcGIS StoryMaps.

In the meantime, since we display exhibit stories using kiosk mode in Chrome or Edge, we are using the Kiosk Extension plugin. It works great for scenario A, where you always want to reset the story to the top when the inactivity timeout period is reached. 

FourCornersMapping

@PeterKnoop thanks for the tip! I installed the extension and played around with it but would love to bend your ear on your experience using with storymaps in an exhibit setting. Would you mind if I reached out?

PeterKnoop
ShannonHWhite

Could we suggest that if there is a good workaround that it be shared on the StoryMaps website.   I see the use case for museum exhibits or other types of exhibits.    Maybe an autoplay tie-in if it does need to be programmed.