Select to view content in your preferred language

Spatial Analysis GIS Tutorials?

10-03-2023 12:36 AM
jekaribne
New Contributor

Hello everyone,

I apologize if this is a common question, however I could truly use some help as I'm currently feeling simply very stressed out.

I recently acquired a data technician job for a land monitoring company, they looked over my resume and decided I would be a good fit (I've got a HBSc in environmental science and geography), I've taken a few GIS courses and truly enjoyed the experience https://vlc.onl/ so I decided to put my foot in the world of GIS job opportunities. However, I feel my experience is truly lacking in GIS (as it's been academic thus far only) and so I wanted to know is there a popular website for GIS spatial analysis tutorials with tutorial data? or what could be a good starting spot for me?

I've done a few google searches, however the tutorials are scattered throughout multiple websites and vary drastically in skill level, and quality of the tutorial.

I attempted to reach out to my previous GIS professor, but was ultimately ghosted after a few back and fourth pleasantries.

My biggest issue currently is I don't know where to start, and there is definitely a lot of information accessible to me which is both a blessing and a curse.

3 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor
JenniferAcunto
Esri Regular Contributor

In addition to what Dan posted, I also like learn.arcgis.com.

I also highly recommend just getting in there and making up your own scenario and see if you can figure it out. This is what I did, and the act of puzzling through it made it stick better than just running through a tutorial. This also helped  me understand the Why behind the steps, which I feel can get lost in tutorials a lot.

I too have found myself in a GIS career without a GIS degree (or any formal GIS training), and also struggled a long time with feeling like an imposter. Just remember that they hired you for a reason. They saw something in you that made them go, 'yeah jekaribne's GOT THIS'. You just need to see that in yourself too. Good luck.

- Jen
RonaldHaug
Occasional Contributor II

Hi jekaribne,

I like what Dan and Jennifer posted. I just checked out learn.arcgis.com and there are some really great offerings there. Wow!

I recently completed a mooc (massive open online course) class in spatial analysis for ArcGIS Pro at esri training. It was 6 weeks long with a new lesson every week. Homework took a few hours a week which is better than most of the GIS classes I've taken. I thought it was very good and recommend it to you. There is a new class offered in August 2024. You can register here: 

https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/5d76dcf7e9ccda09bef61294/spatial-data-science-the-new-frontier...

Check it out! Did I mention it is free of charge?

I wonder if you are using the "spatial analysis" term loosely, because that is a subset of GIS, and involves things like least cost path analysis, network optimization, location siting, hotspot analysis, routing models, spatial interpolation, and machine learned identification.

Most of the people I work with lack basic mapmaking skills, and it shows in their products. What they need is a Cartography course. Such a course is relatively platform independent and teaches you a skillset which lasts a lifetime. I recommend the mooc in Cartography which is coming up in April 2024. Sign up for it here:

https://www.esri.com/training/catalog/596e584bb826875993ba4ebf/cartography/

After you complete a Cartography class your products will look sharp, tell a story, have a purpose, and be made for its intended audience.

0 Kudos