Select to view content in your preferred language

Obtain information from k nearest neighbors..

Jump to solution
02-05-2018 09:42 AM
AvichalMahajan
New Contributor

Hi

I am working with arcgis desktop 10.2. I am a new user and I would be grateful for help.

I have a point shape file, something like cities, which contain city level information, population, area, average temperature in the city etc. Is there a way to identify for each city the total population (or any other variable of interest) in the k nearest cities. So example would be for US, I have a shape file containing all the big cities, I would like to know what is the total population living in 5 (this parameter can change) nearest cities around New York. I would like to do it for all the cities in the shape file.

Thanks

Avi

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AvichalMahajan
New Contributor

In case someone wants to know. I was suggested to use Generate near table which identifies the closest cities and then use summary statistics to use the variable of choice. This seems to work and exactly what I wanted.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
1 Reply
AvichalMahajan
New Contributor

In case someone wants to know. I was suggested to use Generate near table which identifies the closest cities and then use summary statistics to use the variable of choice. This seems to work and exactly what I wanted.

0 Kudos