Select to view content in your preferred language

Limitations of Contour List tool?

Jump to solution
04-29-2015 10:29 AM
MeredithPayne
Deactivated User

I am trying to use the Contour List tool to derive specific contours from a Mosaic Dataset in a File Geodatabase, but it doesn't seem to work. It starts and runs indefinitely. It creates an empty (or on one occasion partly populated) feature class in my Geodatabase. I have read the online help for this tool, but it doesn't seem to spell out limitations concisely. Does it not work on a Mosaic Dataset? Does it not work with rasters or features in a File Geodatabase? When I run it in the Python window (on the Mosaic Dataset or on a single FGDBR raster) it tells me that the rasters do not exist.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​Given your range in #2 and the contour list in #3, why don't you try to remove the improbable contour values so that they fall within the range of #2.  Given Steve's statement, it doesn't seem to be the source, which only leaves the input parameters and/or the destination

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

My reading is that it states that it works on raster surfaces, so technically a mosaic dataset isn't a raster surface, but a vehicle to manage them...a small but untested distinction since I only work with single Esri grids, or ones that have been physically mosaicked together.

0 Kudos
MeredithPayne
Deactivated User

I was wondering about that, but does that also explain why it doesn't work on a FGDBR? I'm not entirely familiar with the ins and outs of the FGDBR format, but thought it was technically a raster layer.

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

The ContourList tool works with all supported raster formats.

1. What version of ArcGIS are you using?
  2. What is the min/max of the raster?
  3. what z values are you contouring?

Is it a big mosaic raster, if not, use CopyRaster and copy it to an Esri grid or .tif

-Steve

0 Kudos
MeredithPayne
Deactivated User
  1. 10.2.2
  2. -436.69 to 20 m
  3. -3500, -3000, -2500, -2000, -1500, -1000, -500, -200, -100, -80, -60, -40, -20, -12, -10, -8, -6, -4, -2, 0

Contour List on an Esri GRID did work. Is this an indication that the tool cannot be used with rasters in a FGDB?

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

​Given your range in #2 and the contour list in #3, why don't you try to remove the improbable contour values so that they fall within the range of #2.  Given Steve's statement, it doesn't seem to be the source, which only leaves the input parameters and/or the destination

0 Kudos
SteveLynch
Esri Regular Contributor

Based on you reply I would suggest that you put in a call to Esri Support.

-Steve

0 Kudos
MeredithPayne
Deactivated User

I truncated the values (which had originated from the range of values present in the mosaic dataset as a whole) to the range present in the FGDBR and now Contour List works on an FGDBR-type raster when run in ArcCatalog.