Select to view content in your preferred language

3D Buildings not what it used to be.

07-21-2023 07:09 AM
JulioGarrido
Occasional Contributor

Hello,

Ever since I upgraded ArcGIS Pro from 2.9 to the 3.x environment, I have found the 3D Buildings solution lacking in several ways compared to its predecessor.  For one, I find the solution riddled with problems. The more noticeable one is waiting for one of the steps to work only to be greeted with an error message.

Error in file name: <path>\ArcGIS\3DBasemaps\scripts\bm_common_lib.py
with error message: AttributeError: Object: Error in parsing arguments for Exists
ERROR:root:Error on line 2363

ERROR:root:Error in file name: C:\Users\slfernandez\Documents\ArcGIS\3DBasemaps\scripts\bm_common_lib.py

ERROR:root:with error message: AttributeError: Object: Error in parsing arguments for Exists

If you are lucky enough to get past the steps, there aren't any 3D buildings being created.  Yes, I have followed the instructions (i.e. lesson plan) for the solution.  

Another thing lacking is the ability to create trees using the data you just used to create buildings.  This was a great function to add something extra to your presentation.  That functionality, or task, has been removed.  

Not sure why the 3D Buildings changed, but I am not satisfied with the current functionality.  The ArcGIS Pro 2.9 version was leaps and bounds better than what we have now.

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NicholasPopovich
Esri Contributor

Julio,

The 3D Buildings solution replaces the functionality that was previously available in the 3D Basemaps solution. 3D Buildings streamlines the workflows previously provided and removed redundant workflows that are now supported in focused solutions like Tree Management and Sign Management. 3D Buildings also removed less widely used workflows that were used to represent powerlines, utilities, and bridges.

This solution, as with all solutions, is supported by Esri Technical Support. I would ask you to call Esri Technical Support to create a documented technical issue in which our analyst can work with you to troubleshoot your issue and resolve the problem. We want to make sure this solution works as intended and we want to get this fixed so you can create the 3D content for your project. https://support.esri.com/en-us/contact

Thank you

Nick

ArcGIS Solutions for Local Governement
0 Kudos
baadminAdmin
New Contributor

I've gone down a rabbit hole of looking for the power line workflow that started with "3D Tools for Power lines" and that seems to have been included in 3D Basemaps for a time and now 3D Basemaps is depreciated and replaced by 3D Buildings.  Can you confirm there is no existing workflow for visualization of 3D power lines?  

Are any of the old solutions archived for download anymore even if they are no longer supported?

0 Kudos