Lables and Annotation not fully rendered when close to edege of super tile.

07-20-2012 10:30 AM
RussellShirley
New Contributor II
Hi All,

I have discovered a problem, at least I think so, in how Desktop 10.1 (PreRelease) handles labels and annotation. If a point feature is very close to the edge of a super tile it is possible only part of the label will be seen. For example a point feature whose symbol is a circle with the label in the center, half on the circle is in super tile ???A??? and the other half is in super tile ???B???. The tile package tool does render both halves of the circle but only one half of the label. I first discovered the issue while looking at annotation, in which the parts of the annotation displayed that would be in super tile ???B??? are just missing.

I think I reasoned why this might be happening. For annotation, the centroid of the anno is in just one super tile while the adjacent tile will not have it at all. But for point features I not sure what is going on. I do know that it is messing up my tile packages. Maybe this behavior is different in 10.1 GA or even in Server. What is needed is a buffer around each tile to ensure that no labels are missing.

Russell
0 Kudos
6 Replies
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Can you please post the images? Did you try Maplex Labeling engine in ArcMap with all rules? If not, try that and then create tile package/cache.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
RussellShirley
New Contributor II
I have attached 2 samples. Each one has an arrow pointing to the half rendered label.
Thanks, Russell
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Russell,

Please go through labels in map caches document and let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
RussellShirley
New Contributor II
Russell,

Please go through labels in map caches document and let me know if that helps.

Regards,
Nimesh

Nimesh

I did that already, no impact on the examples shown. I did make an annotation class for one ploygon feature class and had to move some of them. Those got cut in half when the anno was to close to the edege of the tile. That scheme does not wotk on the lables in my example. I bet if the lablel position was not set to 'center', as in my case, the lable might have be moved to a place where it was visable. The thing that puzzels me is that the feature symbol is in both tiles and not the label.

Thanks, Russell
0 Kudos
NimeshJarecha
Esri Regular Contributor
Is it possible for you to share small set of data so I can try few things at my end? If not, I would suggest moving this thread to the ArcGIS Server issues so you get input from other caching expert users.

Regards,
Nimesh
0 Kudos
RussellShirley
New Contributor II
No problem. What will you need and how to get it to you.
0 Kudos