Renaming Line in LRS Line Network

Jump to solution
10-26-2022 10:47 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

I am using ArcGIS Pro 3.0.2 and an LRS Line Network stored in an Enterprise Geodatabase using ArcGIS Enterprise 11 on SQL Server.

In the attribute table pictured below, I created a route named BB-TEST_0159KM as the only route in line BB-TEST on 27 Oct 22 using Create Route.  It was about 500m long.

On 28 Oct 22 I extended that route using Extend Route so that it became about 1,000m long. 

On 29 Oct 22 I renamed the extended route (about 1,000m long) from its start measure to its end measure to be called CC-TEST_0159KM using Reassign Route.

GraemeBrowning_Aurizon_0-1666849091149.png

I would like to also change its LineName from BB-TEST to CC-TEST.

Is there a workflow that will enable me to do that?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Renaming of Line in LRS Line Network is not supported through one of the ready to use Route edit tools. This is however, in the product roadmap and will be available in a future release. 

Couple of options to consider:

1. In the workflow described, use Create Route instead of Extend Route and follow the tool prompts to provide new Line / Route names. This modification of the user workflow is easy and recommended. 
  2. If the rename must happen after the fact, export out the extended route and related features like calibration point. Retire the extension that has the old name and then recreate it using Create Route or Append Route. This is a manual process and user has to be careful executing each of the required steps.
  3. Versioned editing is the preferred pattern, so a rename or spelling errors in Line/Route names can be QC'd and corrected before posting the version. 
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri

View solution in original post

2 Replies
AyanPalit
Esri Regular Contributor

@GraemeBrowning_Aurizon Renaming of Line in LRS Line Network is not supported through one of the ready to use Route edit tools. This is however, in the product roadmap and will be available in a future release. 

Couple of options to consider:

1. In the workflow described, use Create Route instead of Extend Route and follow the tool prompts to provide new Line / Route names. This modification of the user workflow is easy and recommended. 
  2. If the rename must happen after the fact, export out the extended route and related features like calibration point. Retire the extension that has the old name and then recreate it using Create Route or Append Route. This is a manual process and user has to be careful executing each of the required steps.
  3. Versioned editing is the preferred pattern, so a rename or spelling errors in Line/Route names can be QC'd and corrected before posting the version. 
Ayan Palit | Principal Consultant Esri
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Occasional Contributor II

Thanks @AyanPalit

It was your option 2. that I decided to use.

I had happened to create my route (and its line) using a two-step process of Create Route then Extend Route before needing to rename it (and its line) but I could just as easily have used Create Route to do it in one step.

I found that the simplest way to do the line rename was to use Retire Route on the only route in the line, and then to select the centerline(s) that made up the retired route and create a new route with the new route and/or line names using Create Route.

While this works well for a line that has only one route in it.  However, the data I'm working has one line with 1,167 routes in it, so if that were ever to need a rename, then the line renaming tool in your product roadmap will be invaluable.