Select to view content in your preferred language

Reinstating Retired Routes

Jump to solution
07-20-2022 07:24 PM
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Using Roads and Highways with ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0 and a File Geodatabase, I have successfully retired lines (multiple routes), routes and portions of routes.

If I retired something in error, had performed a save, and then needed to reinstate it, is there a recommended workflow available to do that?

I tried calculating the ToDate to be NULL, and that seemed to work but I'm hoping it really is as simple as that.

- Graeme

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jordan

I just tested this and found that the steps you provided worked for most of the way and then I had to improvise to get to the end.  I tested using a test dataset created by running the attached script.

"8. Open an edit session and select all the old calibration points for the route in question. Delete those points."

I opened the Calibration_Points attribute table but there were no calibration points pertaining to the newly reinstated route present, which was reflected in the map.  I do not understand why these were deleted, presumably by the Append Routes tool.

"9. Select and copy/paste the exported calibration points for the route in question into the R&H calibration point feature class. Apply edits and save/close your edit session."

I proceeded to the last step even though the previous one left me with a slight departure from the software behaviour described in the supplied steps.

I turned on the edited points layer, made it the Only Selectable Layer, went the the Edit tab, and did a Select All to select the two points.  I clicked to Copy button on the Edit tab to copy them to the Clipboad and then did a Paste Special to aim them at the Calibration_Points layer.  However, no new points were added to the Calibration_Point layer, and no error was seen.

I decided to try appending the edited points into the Calibration_Point layer instead so I cleared all selections and used the Append tool to do that.  It seemed to work, except no measure were present on the reinstated route.

To try and fix the measures on the reinstated route I selected it and ran the Generate Routes tool.  I which fixed the measures , and it looks like my route is now fully reinstated.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
JordanM_Support
Esri Contributor

Hi Graeme,

Thanks for your question. I wanted to point out that manually editing the ToDate field for LRS Routes is not recommended (read doc here ) and can introduce unexpected behavior when working further with the LRS.

I see that a similar question was asked in 2019 under the following post: https://community.esri.com/t5/arcgis-roads-and-highways-questions/roads-highways-unretire-route-in-r.... In the previous instance of this question, it appears that the following workflow (translated into ArcGIS Pro lingo) was recommended by Esri:

1. Disable time for the Map View and any Time filters for the network and calibration point feature classes.
  2. Select the route and calibration features for all time slices of the route in question.
  3. Export those route and calibration point feature classes to a file geodatabase.
  4. In the exported route and calibration point feature classes, carefully edit the To Dates for the records you retired back to <null>.
  5. Using the Roads and Highways Append Routes tool, use the edited route feature class to reload the route in question with the Replace by RouteID option.
  6. Once the routes are loaded, you can optionally choose to remove centerline duplication at the end of the calibration process
  7. To replace calibration points, add any exported and edited calibration point feature class to the map.
  8. Open an edit session and select all the old calibration points for the route in question. Delete those points.
  9. Select and copy/paste the exported calibration points for the route in question into the R&H calibration point feature class. Apply edits and save/close your edit session.
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Thanks Jordan

I've not tested your workflow because it's one that is currently of lower priority to my project and looks time consuming.  However, I'm happy to accept it as the solution pending that testing if/when the need arises later in my project.

0 Kudos
GraemeBrowning_Aurizon
Frequent Contributor

Hi Jordan

I just tested this and found that the steps you provided worked for most of the way and then I had to improvise to get to the end.  I tested using a test dataset created by running the attached script.

"8. Open an edit session and select all the old calibration points for the route in question. Delete those points."

I opened the Calibration_Points attribute table but there were no calibration points pertaining to the newly reinstated route present, which was reflected in the map.  I do not understand why these were deleted, presumably by the Append Routes tool.

"9. Select and copy/paste the exported calibration points for the route in question into the R&H calibration point feature class. Apply edits and save/close your edit session."

I proceeded to the last step even though the previous one left me with a slight departure from the software behaviour described in the supplied steps.

I turned on the edited points layer, made it the Only Selectable Layer, went the the Edit tab, and did a Select All to select the two points.  I clicked to Copy button on the Edit tab to copy them to the Clipboad and then did a Paste Special to aim them at the Calibration_Points layer.  However, no new points were added to the Calibration_Point layer, and no error was seen.

I decided to try appending the edited points into the Calibration_Point layer instead so I cleared all selections and used the Append tool to do that.  It seemed to work, except no measure were present on the reinstated route.

To try and fix the measures on the reinstated route I selected it and ran the Generate Routes tool.  I which fixed the measures , and it looks like my route is now fully reinstated.