Select to view content in your preferred language

M Tolerance/Resolution Suggestions when Transitioning LRS to Roads & Highways

Jump to solution
10-17-2023 11:53 AM
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

I'm prepping our LRS for transitioning over to R&H, and I'd like to know if I should change the default M tolerance and resolution. Our current LRS specs are below:

KathrynWesson_0-1697566529552.png KathrynWesson_1-1697567322488.png

Our events are only measured to thousandths of a mile (3 decimal places) and there is no exception to this, so what is the point of having a more precise tolerance/resolution? What do other organizations set as their defaults? It just seems like it would keep the data "cleaner" to not allow measures more precise than the event data, but I would love to hear other thoughts on this...TIA!

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathryn,

I'd suggest taking a look at this white paper the Roads and Highways team created that discusses measure precision in more detail.

It specifically addresses how to model your data for a 3 decimal place measure precision and what that will look like within the rest of your system.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
NathanEasley
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Kathryn,

I'd suggest taking a look at this white paper the Roads and Highways team created that discusses measure precision in more detail.

It specifically addresses how to model your data for a 3 decimal place measure precision and what that will look like within the rest of your system.

Nathan
ArcGIS Roads and Highways team

0 Kudos
KathrynWesson
New Contributor III

This is awesome, thank you very much!

0 Kudos