Select to view content in your preferred language

ArcGIS Service

02-12-2015 06:31 AM
chadhickman
Occasional Contributor III

So I am in the beginning stages of setting up a Web Map application BUT before I do I want to test out if the attachments (.pdf documents) will have any trouble "appearing" in the web app. I want to test this through a service first, which leads me to a few questions before I start:

1. When I create the service will the attachments (.pdf) appear with the corresponding layer?

2. After I have created the service how can I get some from a different organization to use/see it?

I have ArcGIS 10.3 installed and have ArcGIS 10.2.2 Dekstop installed on my machine and the end user will be accessing the service through ArcGIS 10.2.2 Desktop as well.

I am thinking this should be a fairly easy task but would appreciate any and all advice, comments, etc.

Thanks,

C

0 Kudos
4 Replies
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Hi Chad,

If you create a Feature Service, the user will be able to add this to ArcMap and identify the features.  They will be presented an option to view the attachments:

chadhickman

This maybe a dumb question but how will the user outside of my organization access the feature service through ArcGIS desktop?

0 Kudos
JakeSkinner
Esri Esteemed Contributor

If your ArcGIS Server instance is public facing, you can provide them with a URL to this instance.  Ex:

http://sampleserver6.arcgisonline.com/arcgis/rest/services

Then the user can create an ArcGIS Server connection and have access to the services.

If your server is not public facing, you can always publish the data to ArcGIS Online as a hosted feature service.  You then have the option to share the feature service with 'Everyone' or you can invite the user(s) to your ArcGIS Online organization as a named user, and share the service with these users through a Group.

chadhickman

Ok, thanks!

0 Kudos