Select to view content in your preferred language

Tree sampling with QuickCapture

Jump to solution
02-24-2021 06:19 AM
JesseKalwij1
New Contributor III

I looking for a solution to quickly sample points (trees) using a Samsung tablet plus external GNSS Sensor. I am looking at mapping about 1000 trees per day, so speed is of the essence. Survey123 seems to be too slow for my sampling intensity.

I need to be able to assign tree species names to individual point feature, and have the option of taking a photo if the tree species is unknown. I also need to see my current location on a self-created high-resolution orthophoto as background.

My first problem is that I am unsure how to get my orthophotos as background images on my tablet. These raster images will be generated in the field. Note that I will have very poor internet connection. So, ideally, I would simply copy this raster from my laptop to my tablet/smartphone. Uploading a 500 MB map package to ArcGIS Online is simply not feasible.

The second problem is the large number of potential species. I have some 90 species from 34 families. Some 90 small buttons on a single QuickCapture screen does not seem very practical. 

Is it possible to set up rules in QuickCapture, so that I could, for example, first chose the family, then the genus, and then species name? Is there a way to import my species list? 

I am sure that a simple solution exists - I just cannot find it. Any advice would be highly appreciated.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
12 Replies
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Is there a way to upload a list from a word doc or spreadsheet? 
It doesn't have the Import from file function, but you can try Batch edit which you can copy and paste your list from a word document to the text editor. This will save you time if you have a long list to enter. 

Mandy_Li_0-1644532018353.png

Is there a way to grey out or hide a name from the choice list after it has been used?
This is not supported too, unfortunately. The list is always populated as what's been given. 

JesseKalwij1
New Contributor III

Since this old post revived, maybe it is useful to add a few follow-up remarks:

1. Regarding choice lists in QC: I prepared my tree species names as a CSV table with made-up XY coordinates for each species. I then imported this CSV table to the hosted feature layer, so that the choice list is automatically populated. You can then delete the made-up features again. I cannot recall exactly how I did it, but it was fairly easy. We also used QC to map ground control points for the creation of orthophotos.

2. After our first field trial, we realised that QC does not allow us the data entry flexibility that we needed (mapping trees in the field, capturing species name and crown diameter using a self-generated orthophoto as basemap).  We moved to Fieldmaps instead. Self-generated orthophotos were used as basemap. This worked brilliantly for us.

3. The next step of our project was a vegetation survey (recording species cover estimatation). For that level of data, we used a self-made Survey123 form.  Survey123 can be set up in such a way that it pulls the choice lists from a CSV file in its \MEDIA folder.

After having used the ArcGIS app for little over year, I have learnt that the level of data complexity determines which app is most suitable. This is perhaps not immediately clear for beginners. I also miss clear tutorials for these apps. I have seen dozens of videos demonstrating all the cool things that one can do with these apps, but very few hands-on tutorial videos that go beyond the first steps.  

DEI
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for the quick response and follow-up @Mandy_Li and @JesseKalwij1!

0 Kudos