QuickCapture GPS is inaccurate at rural location

Jump to solution
07-14-2021 11:20 AM
HaowenRui
New Contributor II

I tested out my QuickCapture app on my mobile phone last week at a rural location in Canada, and the GPS accuracy was 13km. To record location data, the required GPS accuracy is 10km, has anyone else had the same problem? Is there a way to increase the signal or get rid of the required GPS accuracy limit?

I thought GPS is supposed to work anywhere on this planet, or is that simply not true in more rural places? I am planning to use this app in the Northern territories of Canada.

image001.png

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Ho Haowen,

You are right, as long as you have a clear view of the sky, you should be able to get GPS. 

- You can set the required horizontal accuracy in the project (under general settings), this is defined by the project author. Are you able to verify what the horizontal accuracy thresholds (recomended and required) are set to?

- It is strange that both the reported and required accuracy in the screen shot are showing KMs. These are very big numbers and are not expected for a typical phone. I'm wondering if something else is going on.

- Are you seeing the same issue when you are back at home, or are accuracies better now?

- Could you share more details on the device you are using (model and OS)? Do you have any other Esri apps installed on the device? - Did they show the same accuracies?

- Are you using an external GNSS reciever?

Thanks

John

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Ho Haowen,

You are right, as long as you have a clear view of the sky, you should be able to get GPS. 

- You can set the required horizontal accuracy in the project (under general settings), this is defined by the project author. Are you able to verify what the horizontal accuracy thresholds (recomended and required) are set to?

- It is strange that both the reported and required accuracy in the screen shot are showing KMs. These are very big numbers and are not expected for a typical phone. I'm wondering if something else is going on.

- Are you seeing the same issue when you are back at home, or are accuracies better now?

- Could you share more details on the device you are using (model and OS)? Do you have any other Esri apps installed on the device? - Did they show the same accuracies?

- Are you using an external GNSS reciever?

Thanks

John

HaowenRui
New Contributor II

Hello Johnathan,

Thank you for answering.

- I am able to set the horizontal accuracy threshold, but the numbers are limited to within a km, which is less than the default threshold I have right now.

- The horizontal accuracy in the settings is measured in meters, and it cannot go past 999 meters.

- The accuracy is definitely better at home. Typically at around 10 something meters.

- I am using IOS 14.6, iPhone XR, I only have QuickCapture installed on my phone, and in the cities, the accuracy is typically pretty good.

- I am not using any receiver, just my phone.

Thanks,

Haowen

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks for this. In the designer can you open the project JSON and confirm the  "horizontalAccuracyError" and "horizontalAccuracyWarning" values are set at?

JohnathanHasthorpe_0-1627022213109.png

HaowenRui
New Contributor II

Hello Johnathan, Thank you for your reply, I haven't changed anything in this JSON file, and here are the specs:

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 10.43.44 PM.png

Is it going to eliminate the GPS accuracy warning if I just change both these numbers to a very high number?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi HaowenRui,

Yes, you would not see any warning if the threshold numbers were made to be very large.

We are still looking into this issue.

Thanks

John