Photos taken by QuickCapture not geotagged

Jump to solution
05-19-2020 08:47 AM
Labels (1)
Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

How can I ensure that all pictures taken by QuickCapture have proper geotagging information? I downloaded the picture attachments, and they did not have lat-long. I had location services on the phones turned ON.

Is there a special settings in QuickCapture or data fields that need to be added on the feature service to ensure the photos are geotagged?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

We will have a fix for this in 1.7 to be released in September. QuickCapture will preserve the EXIF information in captured photos.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Mandy_Li
Esri Contributor

Hi Ramen,

You can get the location info from feature attributes at the moment, adding it to the captured photo is being planned but not in the app yet. We will also add two new device variables in QuickCapture in the release coming later this year:

• Compass: capture the compass (azimuth) value from the device when a button is pushed.
  • Photo compass: capture the compass (azimuth) value from the device when a photo is taken.

Is store/read such info from the GIS feature attributes going to help, and how will you use the geotagged info from the captured photo? This will help us understand the need better.

Thanks,

Mandy

Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Hi Mandy,

Thank you for the reply.

We are working with an external group that requires the collected geotagged photos, so the plan was to collect the field photos using QuickCapture then batch export the attachments to share it to them.

Internally, the feature attributes works well (and preferred) for us as we have ArcGIS but the external group want the geotagged photos for their system.

Is there a tool or python script that I can use to batch edit the exif files to update the lat-long of the pictures using the feature attributes?

Kind Regards,

Ramon

0 Kudos
OrAleksandrowicz1
New Contributor II

We are having a similar issue - after using QuickCapture, we would like to share the photos with other colleagues, and the lack of geotagging data is really reducing their ability to use the photos for their own purposes. It therefore makes more sense to go back to just using the cellphone's camera, and then batch uploading the geotagged photos to a feature layer, in a way that seems to undermine the whole idea of using the QuickCapture app.

Best,

OA

JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor

We will have a fix for this in 1.7 to be released in September. QuickCapture will preserve the EXIF information in captured photos.

Ramon_de_Leon
Occasional Contributor

Thanks Jonathan, looking forward to this enhancement.

0 Kudos
JohnathanHasthorpe
Esri Regular Contributor
0 Kudos