Select to view content in your preferred language

Can I use the Pro license that comes with my Developer Subscription as a Single-Use license for automated tests?

Jump to solution
07-03-2023 01:24 PM
DanNarsavage_IDWR
New Contributor III

I have a "Professional" level Esri Developer Subscription, which according to this comes with a "Basic" level ArcGIS Pro license.  My org provides me a separate "Advanced" level Pro license that I use for day-to-day activities (which include but are not limited to development), so I don't need the "Basic" level license for my day-to-day work.  On the other hand, we do need a Pro license for automated tests on our build server.  Is there a way to convert that "Basic" developer Pro license into a single-use license for this purpose?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Dan. Yes, it sounds like in your case it would be necessary to create something like an AutomatedTest user to assign the developer license to and take it offline on the test machine.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Wolf
by Esri Regular Contributor
Esri Regular Contributor

i don't think you need a license on a build server.  See details on configuration options here:  ProConcepts Advanced Topics · Esri/arcgis-pro-sdk Wiki (github.com)

0 Kudos
DanNarsavage_IDWR
New Contributor III

Thanks @Wolf.  I should have put "automated tests" more prominently in this post--I'm planning to run automated tests on the build server. I've updated the title to accomplish that. This video and other references I've found are reasonably emphatic that tests must be licensed.

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

>> Is there a way to convert that "Basic" developer Pro license into a single-use license for this purpose?

It sounds like you want to take the Named User license offline which effectively makes it a single use license on the machine where it is checked out. See https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/start-arcgis-pro-with-a-named-user-license.htm#... 

0 Kudos
DanNarsavage_IDWR
New Contributor III

Thanks @KoryKramer.  I've explored the option of taking my license offline, but my org has offline access disabled.  I have the power to change that, but I'll have to see what the reasoning was behind that move in the first place.  Plus, like I said in my question, I already have an Advanced Pro license (which I need when I'm wearing hats other than my `developer` hat) before being granted the Basic one as part of the dev subscription.  I suppose the answer there is to create a "headless" account within our org and send the dev subscription to that user instead of to me, but I'm not a big fan. We've struggled to keep headless accounts herded in the past, and we're just concluding a year-long effort to clean up the mess of just one headless account that grew out of control. If you've got any other ideas I'd sure like to hear them before I make a new account . . .

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Dan. Yes, it sounds like in your case it would be necessary to create something like an AutomatedTest user to assign the developer license to and take it offline on the test machine.

0 Kudos