Select to view content in your preferred language

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to do anything?

02-13-2015 02:04 PM
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

I have met and exceeded the recommended spec to run pro, but it is so very slow to do just about everything.  Any Ideas?

Tags (1)
62 Replies
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

1.  Please contact technical support so they can help you through this issue.

2.  Can you elaborate on what is slow?  Is the UI greying out?  Is the map display jerky?  More specifics will help to figure out where the problem may lie.

0 Kudos
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

Once data is loaded from a local source, it becomes unbearable to zoom, pan, and even identify.  I can't even begin to try any processioning, because the application freezes.  The ribbon does grey out, and the data being displayed is very large in size and blurry.

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Brig,

From your comments it sounds like you're in Scene view (Global or Local) in 3D.  Is that correct?

quick diagnostic: with the map view focused, press shift-e to bring up a diagnostic readout overlaid on the map display.  This will tell us some more about what's going on.  Please post a screenshot of this here.

Some troubleshooting tips:

1.  Update your graphics card driver _From the Manufacturer's website_ (not from Windows Update)

2.  try switching to OpenGL (in Project->Options->Display tab)

3.  Please run the diagnostic linked here and post your results: Can You Run It?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

BrigThomas
New Contributor III

No I was in the Map tab.   I have completely removed the software and re-installed it.   It now seems to be working correctly.

DevlynRobson
New Contributor II

Hi Jeremy

I tried this just to see what happens and got the following:

Can you shed some light on what information is being reported here or direct me to some useful info that would explain it please?

Tx

Devlyn

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

devlyn,

I can't see the image you posted.  was it an image of the "can you run it" tool results?

j

0 Kudos
DevlynRobson
New Contributor II

Hi Jeremy

The diagnostics say:

DX11 High 68.470 (7.070) FPS 74 Tri/F 0.01M Tri/sec | MemMb VB 0.77

Tile 0 E 0 C | Unlocked | 832x522

I’m not having any problems running Pro but I had to exclude it from scanning by my antivirus software.

Regards

Devlyn

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

I had planned to write up a blog post about this (still on my list).

The first section shows you're in DX11 and you're in "High" rendering detail (you can control this from Display Options).

The second section shows average framerate, and Min framerate over last few seconds.

Third section shows Triangles processed per frame and per second.

third shows memory being used for different buffer types.  Last section shows how many Elevation and Color tiles are being processed (this means ground and other elevation sources, if Any).  These will be 0 for any 2D view. 

The readout also shows the size in pixels of the client area being rendered (map view)

Unlocked is a developer thing you should never see anything other than Unlocked

Did your antivirus flag it as a virus?  Or are you saying you are excluding its file read/write actions from the antivirus scanning for the sake of performance?  What Antivirus software are you using?

DevlynRobson
New Contributor II

Yes, I excluded it from the anti virus scanning software (Sophos). My desktop was slow as well when I was online, probably because it was trying to connect to argis online so I excluded that too and they are both start up much quicker.

Thanks for the reply to the post. That will be a useful blog!