Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow to do anything?

02-13-2015 02:04 PM
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

I have met and exceeded the recommended spec to run pro, but it is so very slow to do just about everything.  Any Ideas?

Tags (1)
62 Replies
wilwaters
New Contributor III

How did you get it to stop using ArcGIS Online? I suspect this is what is causing mine to be so slow as well. For exmaple, it automatically loaded an Esri elevation source in the Scene tab. I don't need this as I have a bunch of TINs which have their own elevation data and I want my imagery draped on that. It's silly Esri are assuming I want their elevation data when I have my own. Even sillier to see my TINs draped on their elevation surface!

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Wil,

You can verify whether it is using AGOL by using a debugging proxy such as Telerik Fiddler.  This gives a report of each http access.  You can even add a "time elapsed" to the readout so you can see how long each request is taking.  It's a powerful (and free) troubleshooting tool for any web-enabled application.

If you want to remove the default elevation, you can do so from map properties->elevation surface.

Remove the reference to elevation3d.arcgis.com to remove the global elevation source coming from ArcGIS Online.

If you want your TIN data ONLY as an elevation, don't add them as layers in the map.  Instead, ONLY add them in the elevation surface dialog as elevation sources for the ground.  this way you won't see them draped on the surface at all, but you'll still be using them directly as elevation for your imagery.  This support got even better at 1.1 as we added lighting support rather than baking the lighting into the TIN. 

wilwaters
New Contributor III

Hi Jeremy,

Thanks for your help. I want to be able to see my TINs because it's easier to see if they are valid rather than with something else draped over them. So I guess I'll have to add them as elevation sources and as layers.

Fiddler is installed, any tips how to do the operations you're talking about with it?

Wil

0 Kudos
wilwaters
New Contributor III

By the way, one really important function of ArcScene for me was being able to compare visually the elevation of two layers, such as bottom of contamination vs bottom of excavation. I can’t see how I’m able to do this in ArcGIS Pro. I found that when I dragged a bunch of TINs in, it grouped them all under the ‘ground’ elevation surface. This is not correct because these surfaces cover the same location horizontally. It would be better if when dragging a new DEM into Pro it would ask you into which surface group, if any, you want it to go, or if you want to create a new surface.

Wil

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Wil,

If you want your TINs to be separate surfaces, you can achieve this by removing them from ground, and adding individual "surfaces" on the Elevation Surface dialog under map properties.  Then each individual surface's TIN (if you want the symbolization) will have to be changed to be "on surface 1" or "on surface 2" on the Elevation layer property page.  Does that make sense?

Regards,

Jeremy W.

BrigThomas
New Contributor III

Jeremy,

Does Pro support Proportional Symbology?  Also is there a way to get the measure tool to display in inches?

Brig

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

the measure tool will display in any units you ask for.  Just click on the options drop-down. 

PROTIP: If you don't see the units you want, go to Project tab->Options->Units tab.  here you can set the default (using the radio button) or ADD a unit (say, if you want to measure in Smoots).

JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

also Brig, we do support proportional symbols in Pro (graduated symbols, graduated colors).

0 Kudos
BrigThomas
New Contributor III

What I am trying to do is have my pipeline draw based on pipe diameter.  I want the pipe to be drawing not in a graduated scheme but in a true size.  So if the pipe is 90 inches, I want to have it be drawn at 90 inches on the map.  This is currently possible in ArcMap. 

0 Kudos
JeremyWright
Esri Regular Contributor

Brig,

sounds like you want to do attribute-driven size, and use "real world sizes".  The former is available from symbology properties pane, the latter is available from the Display tab in layer properties.

0 Kudos