Why is ArcGIS Pro not allowing me to rename favorites?

Jump to solution
08-10-2018 01:27 PM
BrendaMorgan
New Contributor II

I read that ArcGIS Pro would allow you to rename a favorites (give it an alias).  In cases of server folder, it denied me access, and when renaming a folder on my desktop, it literally renamed it instead of just giving that folder an alias within Arc Pro.  What is going on with this feature?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I've logged this behavior as new defect for ArcGIS Pro since it's unexpected to have the folder to be renamed on disk based on the documentation. If you'd like to track this defect, or if you have further questions on it, please call Esri Technical Support at 888-377-4575.

[BUG-000116059 - Renaming a favorite folder in ArcGIS Pro renames the folder on disk instead of creating an alias.]

Thanks for reporting it!

View solution in original post

16 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

just to be sure, you are referring to

Project favorites—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop http://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/help/projects/manage-project-favorites.htm

and the link to

Manage project favorites—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop 

there is a lot of comment there, but the F5 refresh is a good suggestion in case what you seeing is due to a lack of refresh

0 Kudos
BrendaMorgan
New Contributor II

I did refer to those before asking the question.  It isn't an issue of refreshing.  Renaming is supposed to create an alias.  In one case trying to rename the folder was blocked because I didn't have write permission for the folder and in another it change the source folder name, instead of giving it an alias viewable within the ArcPro favorites.

DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

It does indeed rename the folder.  I can't find the link where it says that is just provides an alias

0 Kudos
BrendaMorgan
New Contributor II

The explanation of "Rename" creating an alias is in the 3rd bullet in the Manage Project Favorites section on the ESRI site. I got a note saying they were logging it as a new defect.  It looks like the function I was seeing did deviate from the ESRI function description.

0 Kudos
BrendaMorgan
New Contributor II

And thanks for responding, by the way!

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Thanks... although the bug is a handy way to quickly rename folders

0 Kudos
MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Did you by any chance break data links for mxds and aprxs?  This occurred at my org unbeknownst to the Pro users and if affected many users before the root cause was found.

0 Kudos
BrendaMorgan
New Contributor II

I didn't.  I was trying to set up a template set of catalog connections (to basically mirror my old ArcCatalog set of connections), so these were my first Favorites, and just added when the Rename functions wasn't working.  Looks like a bug either in Pro or the documentation that said Rename created an alias.  Guess we'll see!  Thanks!

0 Kudos
JeffreySchmidt3000
New Contributor III

Searching here in March 2021 after in Pro 2.7, I added a folder, renamed it and broke our company for a while… it looks so benign… add a favorite folder and rename it so you know what it is… with really dire consequences if you don’t notice the tooltip and you have the privileges to update network directories… for other windows folders it is disabled… For Documents\ArcGIS is fails…  The Content Pane functions with the flexibility to change titles/aliases without changing sources… I was expecting a “favorite” to behave in the same way.

rename-favorite.jpg

0 Kudos