Why does ArcGIS Pro have to be so slow???

08-01-2017 11:31 AM
ericmeyers1
New Contributor III

Why is ArcGIS Pro so slow? To select assets, field calculate, display layers, change symbology... the easiest of tasks that are commonly utilized within ArcMap are a drag on the software.

When will ArcGIS Pro become faster than ArcMap? That will be the day it could replace it as the goto product for GIS professionals.

266 Replies
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Anneka,

A few question this brings up:

• How were you able to narrow it down to antivirus software?
  • Have you tried to add ArcGIS Pro as an exception in the AV?
  • Which AV software do you use?

Thanks for any info you can provide!

-Scott

0 Kudos
Anneka_France
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Scott,
I don't know for sure that the speed/freezing issues are entirely caused by my AV software. But having had our IT support investigate the issue, they said that it was isolating and scanning each file every time ArcGIS pro refreshed (or in this case anytime I tried to edit the data, change symbology etc.) The problem appears to be worse when using layers from ArcGIS online or dropbox synced files. Most of our data is synced with dropbox (we're a small organisation and all work remotely) so this can't be avoided. I experience none of these issues when carrying out exactly the same operations in ArcMap... The AV software is Sophos Endpoint. I believe it's possible to set up exceptions, but our organisation has been victim to several attempted cyber attacks recently and our IT contractors are hesitant to do this.

I've submitted a support case so hoping to find a solution.

Thanks!

Anneka France
Technical Manager at The Rivers Trust
0 Kudos
Scott_Harris
Esri Regular Contributor

Thanks Anneka. What catches my attention here is Dropbox. What kind of files are you syncing with Dropbox?

Anneka_France

Hi Scott, we back up and share lots of our project files via dropbox, including GIS data. The files are saved to the disk drive and only 'synced' to Dropbox for backup/sharing. I 'pause' syncing (disable Dropbox) when I'm working on GIS to stop it running in the background and only turn on sync at the end of the day to back up any changes. This system has worked fine with ArcMap but is this an issue for ArcGIS Pro?

Anneka France
0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

Hi Anneka, so the actual Pro project files (aprx) are in the synced Dropbox?  And as for the GIS data, are you using shapefiles/file geodatabase, or both, and if both, have you noticed that one is more/less performant than the other?

0 Kudos
Anneka_France

Hi Kory, the project files are usually saved in a Dropbox synced folder, but sometimes (esp if i'm in a rush) they'll be saved in the default folder in another location. ArcGIS online layers are definitely the slowest, but I haven't been comparing shapefiles vs. file geodatabases. I will start paying more attention and let you know!

Anneka France
0 Kudos
KathrynRobertson
New Contributor II

My organization also uses Sophos which impacts ArcPro.  It is a major concern when editing and you can't do anything but wait.  I've complained to the powers that be that Sophos is a network nightmare when used with ESRI products.

James_OKane
New Contributor III

If you happen to be working with the built in Windows Defender real time protection you have the ability to turn it off for nominated processes (Configure exclusions for files opened by specific processes - Windows security | Microsoft Docs). That way you can still have Defender do its thing but anything that pro opens gets excluded. I used the powershell method (must be admin):

Add-MpPreference -ExclusionProcess "C:\ArcGIS\Pro\bin\ArcGISPro.exe"

Obviously it won't help traffic on the network but it might help locally...

ClintonJenkins1
New Contributor II

The high amount of internet/network use does seem to be part of the problem. When I am on an internet connection that is unstable or laggy, ArcGIS Pro becomes almost unusable. This happens even if there are no online layers loaded. It happens even I'm just running a local model and there is nothing at all in the map.

JenniferLang
New Contributor

What is ESRI's stance on your observations? Have they every responded to this? Why does ArcGIS Pro need to make 10475 separate TCP calls to change a symbol, seems ridiculous. Why doesn't layer caching not work? Love to hear if you have had any response from ESRI.