Where did presets for realistic trees go in Pro v3.0?

Jump to solution
08-23-2022 03:11 PM
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

I've been looking through the documentation and still haven't found where this went:

GBacon_0-1661292686304.png

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

To answer your questions:

1. Real world units can be enabled in the layer properties. Right click layer > Properties > Display tab

2. There's a couple different workflows you can try

a. In the Symbology pane click the burger button > Match layer symbology to a style

AndrewJohnson_0-1661433841227.png

Run this tool

b. Another option is to convert the symbology of your old preset layer to the unique value renderer. From there you can run the Apply Symbology From Layer geoprocessing  tool on the new layer with the symbology from the old layer. 

Hopefully one of these options will work well for your data. In a future release, one of the teams is working on a similar UI that will streamline this process a bit more.

thanks,

Andrew

View solution in original post

Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

I reached out to another team to get clarification on this and they confirmed that the core styles use the common name and not the genus. The match layer symbology to a style will always use the symbol name so in this case it will only work with common name. If you only had data with genus you could create a new style where the symbol name of the realistic tree matches the genus and then in that case it would work to use the match layer symbology to a style but it sounds like it will still work for you to use common name moving forward. 

thanks,

Andrew

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
19 Replies
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Preset layers have been deprecated. This has been documented on the main help topic as well as release notes for 3.0

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/preset-layers.htm 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/get-started/release-notes.htm 

Technical article: https://support.esri.com/en/technical-article/000027469 

thanks,

Andrew

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Wow, what a bummer. Maybe I did see that and ended up in denial since I was hoping I could help users visualize tree planting plans. So I would have to hang onto Pro 2.9 indefinitely to create attribute driven realistic tree models? Do you have a suggestion for a workaround? Curious as to the reasoning behind the decision to deprecate this. 

Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

Here are some details that will hopefully explain this better:

• Better workflows/new technologies:  
    1. The Add Elevation Source Layer dialog was added to add data dropdown 
    2. The Add subtype layer dialog was added to add data dropdown 
    3. Realistic/Preset trees can be added through system styles 
    4. Ready-to-use layers are now available via OSM trees 
    5. The preset layer does not hook into the other symbology enhancements that have been made over the years

• Platform capability: 
    1. Preset layers are not fully supported across the ArcGIS Platform. Using feature layers/scene layers affords more capabilities supported by the web scene spec and scene viewer.

• Usage: 
    1. We monitored the usage of this workflow over the years and found it was utilized very little. The user interface was restrictive and did not allow much additional functionality that can be leveraged through a feature layer or scene layer.

It’s never easy to remove something that has been in the software for years but based on the previous points multiple teams in coordination with product management made the decision to deprecate this.  

While the UI is not there the same behavior can be achieved in 3.0 using the out of the box system styles for 3D thematic and realistic vegetation. Leverage these styles with attribute-driven symbology and you will have the same output. Additionally, we have added new ready-to-use OSM realistic and thematic trees that can be accessed from ArcGIS Online. I have placed some links below for the various workflows.

Attribute-driven symbology  

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/mapping/layer-properties/attribute-driven-symbology.ht... 

ArcGIS Pro system styles 

https://esri-styles.maps.arcgis.com/home/item.html?id=6b9ad70589bb42788251b465487a6ac0 

Add System styles 

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/projects/connect-to-a-style.htm#GUID-F0F6BA63-F617-4AD... 

OSM trees 

https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-living-atlas/mapping/new-osm-3d-scene-layers/ 

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Thanks, Andrew. I'm most of the way there but I must be missing something in attribute driven symbology. I've added the 3D Vegetation - Realistic style and enabled attribute driven symbology on my feature layer. I've set Unique Values based on the genus field in my attribute table. Is the functionality that reads the genus field and automatically selects the tree model based on the field gone? I'm having to select the tree model myself. Also, once I select a tree model for each unique value, I'm only presented with points (pt) for trre height and crown width when I need real world units like preset trees used to allow. Is this possible? 

PresetProcess.png

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi,

To answer your questions:

1. Real world units can be enabled in the layer properties. Right click layer > Properties > Display tab

2. There's a couple different workflows you can try

a. In the Symbology pane click the burger button > Match layer symbology to a style

AndrewJohnson_0-1661433841227.png

Run this tool

b. Another option is to convert the symbology of your old preset layer to the unique value renderer. From there you can run the Apply Symbology From Layer geoprocessing  tool on the new layer with the symbology from the old layer. 

Hopefully one of these options will work well for your data. In a future release, one of the teams is working on a similar UI that will streamline this process a bit more.

thanks,

Andrew

GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

I was just starting down the road to match layer as you were writing this! I got no matches from my genus field so I wondered if it wanted common name based on the symbol selector names.

GBacon_0-1661434252050.png

I'll keep at it with your other recommendations as I would like to demo this in a couple weeks. Thanks.

0 Kudos
GBacon
by
Occasional Contributor

Common named worked to match symbology. The only other thing I was wondering about was having to set up each unique tree symbol's attribute fields to get my height and width, a process presets did for all symbols at once at the very beginning. 

0 Kudos
Andrew--Johnson
Esri Regular Contributor

As long as you have crown height and width for each tree in the attribute table then you can set this at the layer level using the vary symbology by attribute

AndrewJohnson_0-1661450539549.png

0 Kudos
Ed_
by MVP Regular Contributor
MVP Regular Contributor

@Andrew--Johnson would crown width be same as crown diameter considering that the crown is circular?

Question | Analyze | Visualize
0 Kudos