What is the equivalent of an unmanaged raster catalog in Pro?

Jump to solution
01-31-2022 08:22 AM
RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

Hi,

Can anyone point me in the direction of an unmanaged raster catalog equivalent in ArcPro?

I regularly (weekly) remove old and add in new drone captures to my unmanaged raster catalog and then update the image cache on my server.

I thought I'd give it a go with ArcPro but I immediately came up with the problem that raster catalogs are not supported so I'm trying to find an equivalent process to test - the important bit being the unmanaged part as I can't wait for a new mosaic to be created each week. I did give it a try but it was so slow I cancelled the process.

Using ArcPro Standard 2.9.1 and ArcServer Standard 10.9.1 (not federated).

Thanks for any help.

0 Kudos
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Simon_Woo
New Contributor III

Raster Catalogs are not supported in Pro.

Please follow this workflow to convert your raster catalogs to Pro

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/imagery/migrate-a-raster-catalog-to-a-mosaic-data...

Note: Standard or Advanced license is needed.

View solution in original post

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

As Simon pointed out Raster Catalogs are not supported in ArcGIS Pro but a mosaic dataset is kind of like an unmanaged raster catalog in the sense that it looks at the folder containing the native raster formats (i.e. jpg, bmp, etc.  As you add new images to the mosaic dataset, you can use the "by attribute" setting to have the mosaic dataset show the latest image.  You can learn more about this workflow here

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Simon_Woo
New Contributor III

Raster Catalogs are not supported in Pro.

Please follow this workflow to convert your raster catalogs to Pro

https://pro.arcgis.com/en/pro-app/latest/help/data/imagery/migrate-a-raster-catalog-to-a-mosaic-data...

Note: Standard or Advanced license is needed.

Robert_LeClair
Esri Notable Contributor

As Simon pointed out Raster Catalogs are not supported in ArcGIS Pro but a mosaic dataset is kind of like an unmanaged raster catalog in the sense that it looks at the folder containing the native raster formats (i.e. jpg, bmp, etc.  As you add new images to the mosaic dataset, you can use the "by attribute" setting to have the mosaic dataset show the latest image.  You can learn more about this workflow here

RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

@Simon_Woo - that workflow was much more akin to my usual workflow in terms of speed than whatever it was I was doing before. All my images are in the wrong order but @Robert_LeClair 's link looks like it will help me rearrange them. Thanks both for your help.

0 Kudos
RebeccaWatson1
New Contributor III

Just a note to anyone looking at this topic and hoping to transfer their process of publishing raster catalogs from ArcMap to ArcPro. You can no longer do this without the addition of an Image Server on top of the ArcGIS server license you have already got. See this link: Publishing image services from ArcGIS Pro 

so you'll have to stick with ArcMap or use raster dataset which wouldn't be suitable in my case.

0 Kudos