Select to view content in your preferred language

What is a favorite tip, trick or hack that your Pro self would share with your former ArcMap self?

09-02-2022 06:27 AM
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

ArcGIS Pro users!

If your primary GIS tool used to be ArcMap and you are either transitioning to ArcGIS Pro now or have fully moved all of your work into Pro, what is a favorite tip, trick or hack that your Pro self would share with your former ArcMap self?

6 Replies
David_Brooks
MVP Regular Contributor

So many to be honest. But one of the best features has to be the Catalog Data Sources interface. Such a big upgrade on the old one. 

Aso, the new layer views in the TOC, and the Layout elements TOC.

David
..Maps with no limits..
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

What worked for me... quit trying to emulate what you used to do in Arcmap when in ArcGIS Pro... except for the functionality of ArcToolbox, the one thing that has been a mainstay whilst getting better as it ages.

... sort of retired...
BarryNorthey
Frequent Contributor

I wrote a series of personal, written “training exercises” that covered the main AGP topics or workflows that I needed or wanted to do (ones that I did in AGD). I wrote them as if explaining it to someone else, so this forced me to research and explain a topic in more detail and I could easily go back and review a topic when I got stuck. I update these as needed when a new release comes along making for a sort of refresher course. It takes up front time and effort but might save time and frustration in the long run. Works for me.

KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

That's a great tip, Barry! Thank you for sharing.

0 Kudos
JohannesLindner
MVP Frequent Contributor

Do not "transition" in the sense of gradually moving over to Pro, using both products for a long period of time. Just make a hard cut.

Finish your current almost finished projects in Map. Rebuild everything else in Pro and don't switch back and forth. This forces you to learn how to do your work with Pro, as opposed to saying "I don't know how to do it in Pro, I'll just fire up Map and do it there".

When my IT department finally installed Pro 2 years or so ago, I had them uninstall Map 3 months later, because I just didn't use it anymore. My colleague is very comfortable with Map and always falls back on using it if she has a problem in Pro. Understandable, but because of that she can only do basic mapping in Pro...

Have a great day!
Johannes
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator

This is a strategy I've heard from others as well. Thank you, Johannes!

0 Kudos