What happened to the Non-Linear Segment Check in Data Reviewer?

08-26-2018 12:41 PM
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

In Arc Map, a very necessary and required feature of Data Reviewer is the Non-Linear Segment Check. This is critical when moving what I call "hokey" geometries through the pipes and levers to ArcGIS Server, and supporting clients that don't support editing true-curve geometries (another requirement). What is especially handy is that this, and many other standard checks, run "out of the box" without requiring the set up of a reviewer workspace, etc....just pick your off-the-shelf check, and run it against the entire geodatabase. In Pro, no such check. In fact, almost none of the standard checks are present in Data Reviewer (yes I'm licensed for it). Surely there's a check box that needs to be turned on that I'm missing....

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus
0 Kudos
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

That's not it. All that does is set up a reviewer workspace. The default checks are not present.....From the Reviewer rules ribbon, almost all of the standard checks are missing. E.g Relationships check, multipart line or poly check, etc....

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Tools that are not available in ArcGIS Pro—Appendices | ArcGIS Desktop 

no show.

I think you need to put in an Idea for 

"Ribbons not available in ArcGIS Pro"

0 Kudos
KoryKramer
Esri Community Moderator
0 Kudos
JayCary
Esri Contributor

Thanks for sharing your example of how you are using the Non-Linear Segment check!

Unfortunately, the ability to run Data Reviewer checks interactively is not currently available in ArcGIS Pro and not all checks have been migrated to the new authoring workflows (Reviewer Rules).

That said, the Non-Linear Segment check can still be used to validate features in ArcGIS Pro using a Reviewer Batch Job (created in ArcMap) and then run in ArcGIS Pro using the Execute Reviewer Batch Job geoprocessing tool.

Here are a couple of tutorials that document this workflow:

Hope this helps!

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

So I marked your response as Helpful, but some clarification is justified here. Technically yes, I could set up a batch job in Arc, import into Pro, set up a reviewer work space, and execute the batch job. Which is a world of difference, a negative one, then the way Data Reviewer works in Arc, with regard to the "Default" checks: Pick one, name it, click a check box, run against entire geodatabase. No fussing with reviewer work spaces or digging into Arc Toolbox GP UI's. Migration from ArcMap to ArcGIS Pro for data validation—ArcGIS Pro | ArcGIS Desktop is a bit misleading, as you're not really migrating, you're making what was once a simple few-button-click workflow into a time-consuming process, one which I have to do for each project. It might be helpful to take a look at the Default Checks in Arc Map, and port them over to Pro, so they work the same way they do in Arc Map.....I use the term "Default" loosely: all of the checks listed here Checks in Data Reviewer—Help | ArcGIS Desktop can be run without fiddling with reviewer sessions or work spaces. 

Ultimately I ended up converting the whole project back to Arc Map so I could perform QA on the data. 

ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

A year and a version later, still no default checks in Pro Data Reviewer? What is the road map for this?

0 Kudos