Select to view content in your preferred language

Using Map Series to create maps, using clip to index but maintaining base layers.

Jump to solution
09-15-2023 01:13 PM
GennyHelt
New Contributor

I have a single shapefile with 900 features (polygons). Many of the features are adjacent to each other.  I need to make individual maps for each feature. I use maps series to create the maps. I tried the clip to index feature option in map extent, but that also removes my base layer of imagery in roads. Is there a way to keep it one feature per map without losing my base of ortho and roads?  

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

I think what you are looking for is the Page Query. If you use a copy of the the features as the index driving the map, you can set your page query to be the feature ID or some other unique value and each map will show one feature. Another trick is to use this same query (set to 'not match') so that you can show other, near by features with separate symbology if this might be useful. 

Page Query Help article 

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

You can absolutely do this! Map series clipping respects the settings in the clip map options from the map properties. You can exclude any layer from being clipped there. Just select the map, right click and choose Properties to get to the dialog shown below.

AubriKinghorn_0-1694810382529.png

I hope this helps!

Cheers,
Aubri
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

I think what you are looking for is the Page Query. If you use a copy of the the features as the index driving the map, you can set your page query to be the feature ID or some other unique value and each map will show one feature. Another trick is to use this same query (set to 'not match') so that you can show other, near by features with separate symbology if this might be useful. 

Page Query Help article 

GennyHelt
New Contributor

That worked perfectly!  I had to do the process 2 times. The first time I forgot to turn off the 'copied' layer so the additional features were still present.  User error 😑

0 Kudos
clt_cabq
Frequent Contributor

excellent! glad this worked for you. 

0 Kudos