Select to view content in your preferred language

Upload and share Excel sheet on ArcGIS Portal

07-07-2017 12:05 AM
CherylLim
Deactivated User

Hi,

I have an assignment which requires me to upload and publish an excel sheet on my organisation's ArcGIS Portal directly but I have yet to find a way to upload my excel sheet onto the portal even though this link showed that Excel sheets could be shared onto the portal directly What can you add to your portal?—Portal for ArcGIS | ArcGIS Enterprise . I have tried to upload my excel sheet to the portal using My Content>Add item>From My computer>Excel file but could not add it into my basemap.I am currently using Excel 2016 and I have added a few screenshots for your reference thank you!

-Cheryl

0 Kudos
5 Replies
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You can add Excel Sheet to My Content of Portal, but not on the Map Viewer. Convert the excel to a CSV file and try again.

The following list of layers you can add to a map (Add layers—ArcGIS Online Help | ArcGIS )

• ArcGIS Server service (elevation layer, feature layer, map image layer, imagery layer, and tile layer) (URL)
  • Comma-separated values (CSV) file (.csv)
  • GeoRSS web feed (URL)
  • GPS exchange format file (.gpx)
  • Keyhole markup language (KML) file (.kml, .kmz)
  • Map notes (created in Map Viewer)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Feature Service (WFS) (URL)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Service (WMS) (URL)
  • Open Geospatial Consortium (OGC) Web Map Tile Service (WMTS) (URL)
  • Route (created in Map Viewer)
  • Shapefile (.zip)
  • Text file (.txt)
  • Tile layer (URL)

Think Location
0 Kudos
CherylLim
Deactivated User

Hi,

Thank you very much for the tip, however, I have tried to convert my excel file to csv and tried adding it to my map but I kept getting the error "The layer was not created because no locations could be found. Make sure your data has valid addresses or geographic coordinates (lat/long)". I have actually added in the latitude and longitude values into my csv file together with the addresses but it still won't work...

-Cheryl

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

You need to define the lat/lon values that correspond to GCS_WGS_1984 (Decimal Degrees). The values in your excel sheet looks to be in Projected Coordinate System (Meters).

Think Location
0 Kudos
CherylLim
Deactivated User

Hi,

Thank you very much for the tip. I have reflected the problem to my supervisor and I have been told to ignore the lat/long fields instead due to some issues with the lon/lat values. I have converted my excel sheet into a csv file so as to use the Add layers function in the map viewer, however, I got another error this time round.

I have 870 features in the CSV file and the lon/lat values have been removed.

This is the new error I received when I tried to add my CSV file as a layer. 

Thank you so much for your kind assistance and apologies for the long questions as I am really new to ArcGIS portal and I am quite lost right now.

-Cheryl

0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Hi Cheryl,

How do you expect to create the point layer from the CSV without the Lat/Lon fields? They are the most essential fields for creating the points.

There is another way where the points will be generated from the address field (Full Address preferred). But you will need to Configure the portal to geocode addresses—Portal for ArcGIS (10.5.x) | ArcGIS Enterprise .

Note: The service credits consumed by Geocoding Capability is huge (40 credits per 1000 geocodes). Use lat/lon fields in Decimal Degree values, if you don't want to spend so much credits.

ArcGIS Online | Service Credits 

Think Location
0 Kudos