Select to view content in your preferred language

UPDATING DATA FROM ARCGIS PRO TO AN ALREADY CREATED WEBMAP

3 weeks ago
ValeriaMartín
New Contributor II

Hello, I have been trying to update layers on a map from a Webmap that I created. The idea is to have this webmap shared in a group so my coworkers and I will be able to update the information on it.

We have been trying to use the Overwrite Web Layer to update the Webmap from Arcgis Pro, but this has presented some problems. For instance, when I overwrite it, the content that you can view in the Webmap updates and only shows the new layers that I uploaded, but when my coworkers open the shared Webmap on their computers, they only see the old layers. 

We also tried to Save Web Map after we added new layers to the content, but when we try to publish it, we have to create a new feature layer with a different name, we can’t just update the existing one.

We want to be able to share a Webmap, open it from our different computers using Arcgis Pro and been able to visualise and interact with those changes from others computers, how could we do this?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
clt_cabq
Occasional Contributor III

I imagine that web maps brought in from AGOL are going to carry the same permissions with them that exist inside AGOL - since your webmap is "owned" by you, other's can't make changes to it, and that likely carries over to layer properties as well - even though others may be able to edit the content of a layer, its unlikely they'll be able to make wholesale changes to the hosted feature service. You can make a group where group edits are allowed to maps, and your work flow may work in that situation though I'm not sure about overwriting the individual layers, I think this may continue to be a problem. When I worked in emergency management where we had situation awareness maps and anyone on a shift during an event might need to make changes, we had one 'master account' that owned critical webmaps and applications to make necessary changes - I know, this is a violation of the rules but its unfortunately a necessity given the way sharing and editing is managed in AGOL. Hopefully someone with a better grasp of how AGOL and ArcPro integrate can answer.

ValeriaMartín
New Contributor II

Thank you. We already have a group where edit maps are allowed. My coworkers can in fact change things like symbology with their accounts, but they can not, for instance, add a new layer with new data. 

Another problem is that when I try to add a layer to an already create webmap, I can not host that layer in the feature layer that has been already created in the original webmap.

0 Kudos
JonahLay
Esri Contributor

Hi @ValeriaMartín,

Is your group a shared update group? If not, I recommend creating one and sharing the web map to the group so that your coworkers in the group can view and update it.

If you want to update the underlying data of existing web layers in your web map, the Overwrite Web Layer is the correct workflow. If your coworkers aren't seeing the overwritten web layer in the web map, it may be that they had the map opened in ArcGIS Pro. They will need to update/refresh the web map to see the changes.

Saving a web map in ArcGIS Pro saves updates to the web map, but it doesn't update the existing web layers in your organization. You can add new data layers to the web map in ArcGIS Pro. As you noticed, these layers are published as new web layers when you saved the web map, 

For more information, please see the help topics below:

Overwrite a web feature layer

Save a web map 

I hope this helps.

Best,

Jonah

ValeriaMartín
New Contributor II

Thank you. Yes we have a shared update group. But is it normal that when I overwrite a Web Layer only the new updated content appears on the webmap? For instance, if I had a map with 4 layers and overwrite it with a new layer, in arcgis pro I'm seeing the old 4 layer plus the new one, but in the webmap only the new one appears.

And, if some of my coworkers wanted to add their own layers, will this be possible using this configuration?

0 Kudos