Undo an Accidentally Deleted Field in ArcGIS Pro?

Jump to solution
08-07-2018 07:42 AM
MichaelTorbett
Occasional Contributor II

I feel stupid asking this but here goes. I was on a steady pace updating some attribute information when I accidentally deleted a field in my attribute table.  I immediately realized what happened and hit the undo button. However, it did not undo the change. Is there ANY way to recover this information. The data is a File Geodatabase Feature Class.

Thanks,

Michael

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JonathanFarmer_oldaccount
Occasional Contributor III

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid that, unless you created a backup of that file geodatabase on your system somewhere, there is not a way to recover that deleted field. I presume you were in an edit session? Choosing not to save your edits and ending the session would be the only way to revert back to where you were before deleting.

You might check with your IT department and see if they have a backup of the drive where that file geodatabase resided and maybe you can pull an older copy from there?

Good luck!

Jonathan

View solution in original post

8 Replies

Hi Michael,

I'm afraid that, unless you created a backup of that file geodatabase on your system somewhere, there is not a way to recover that deleted field. I presume you were in an edit session? Choosing not to save your edits and ending the session would be the only way to revert back to where you were before deleting.

You might check with your IT department and see if they have a backup of the drive where that file geodatabase resided and maybe you can pull an older copy from there?

Good luck!

Jonathan

MichaelTorbett

Thanks for the info Jonathan. That's what I figured, but I thought I'd ask just in case someone came up with a solution. I ended up using a backup Geodatabase which kept me from having a total loss.

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

Was there any kind of warning from the Pro software asking if you really wanted to delete that field?  This would seem to be a useful feature if it is that easy to delete a field in Pro.

MichaelTorbett

Yes there was. I was in a hurry and blew right through it. However, the undo button failed me. I immediately hit it after realizing what I had done and it did nothing. Its worked for me before when I've needed to restore a field. Not this time though.  

MichaelVolz
Esteemed Contributor

When you say Undo worked for you before to restore a field, was this in Pro or ArcMap?

Jonathan:  Is it expected behavior to ever be able to restore a field in Pro using the Undo button?

No, it isn't. I certainly can't get a field to restore using the undo button after being deleted in Pro.

MichaelTorbett

Maybe it was ArcMap. I've been using Pro almost full time for about a year. It seems like I would remember the undo button not working in this instance. However, I just tested it myself and it's not restoring any fields. 

0 Kudos
JamalNUMAN
Legendary Contributor

It’s unfortunate that there is no way to restore class features that are deleted by mistake from the file geodatabase where the only way is to go back to the backups

Clip_126.jpgClip_127.jpgClip_128.jpg

----------------------------------------
Jamal Numan
Geomolg Geoportal for Spatial Information
Ramallah, West Bank, Palestine