Unable to use "Select by Attribute"?

10-28-2018 11:04 AM
Carola_Johanna_Hintz
New Contributor

Hello, in my ArcMap 10.6 (student) version, I am unable to use the tool "Select by Attribute" with any kind of vector data. Even if the attribute table is full and I can directly access the tables, the fields in which I should be able to click on the different column names stay blank (but I can scroll?) and when I click on "select unique values" the field in which the values should pop up turns white and I can scroll there too. I can click on the pad with the equation signs on the left, and I can type in the commands and it works, but it is very tedious to do so for bigger sets of data. Does anyone have any experience with this or any explanation? Any help is much appreciated, thank you!

I don't know if the picture helps, it just shows the blank...Blank Select by Attribute

0 Kudos
6 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Is the layer a featureclass in a gdb? a shapefile? or is it an event layer or something else?

0 Kudos
Carola_Johanna_Hintz
New Contributor

It happens with both shapefiles and if the layers are featureclasses in a gdb. I have tried with all kinds of different data, some that I knew of that worked in the past, some that I just freshly downloaded and that work on other computers with the same version of the program. 

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

If the data 'works' on other computers by other people, then that leaves:

a corrupt install

• To 'fix' an install, go to Windows Control Panel,  Add/Remove Programs... choose ArcMap, then select "repair"

for a profile issue

• can you confirm that another 'user' has no issue working with the exact same data on your machine
  • If 'they' can, then remove your profile so a new one is created
0 Kudos
Carola_Johanna_Hintz
New Contributor

It can't be a corrupt install, because I already repaired this Version, nothing changed. I uninstalled ArcMap 10.6.1 and installed an older version 10.5.1, the same problem appeared. I repaired that version, still showing blanks and then I reinstalled version 10.6.1 and tried to fix it again with the Repair, but it didn't change anything.

For a profile issue I will try this out today. 

Thank you so much for your help! 

0 Kudos
Carola_Johanna_Hintz
New Contributor

It can't be a profile issue either, since I don't use data of a multi-user database, but just downloaded data on my own computer. So it can't be a user issue.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Your profile has nothing to do with your data sources or use...

https://community.esri.com/docs/DOC-2121-resetting-your-arcgis-application-profile 

0 Kudos