Select to view content in your preferred language

Unable to open .tif file in add data

10-26-2022 09:19 AM
Labels (1)
smwineland
New Contributor

I am unable to open a .tif file downloaded from here: https://www.pasda.psu.edu/uci/DataSummary.aspx?dataset=5043

Because it will not show up in the "Add Data" function. Image below shows side by side of ArcPro's "Add Data" and file explorer of the same folder. Only the ReadMe is showing up. 

How do I get the .tif file to show up in Add Data so that I can open it?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

"refresh" didn't work? (little circular arrow to the right of the folder dropdown SVF_2020....

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
smwineland
New Contributor

No, tried that and restarting ArcPro as well as re-extracting the files to a different folder.

0 Kudos
BarryNorthey
Occasional Contributor III

I downloaded a small file from the site. File Explorer displays the files as shown:

BarryNorthey_0-1666811831798.png

Note that there is both a TIF file and an OVR file. The .ovr file is a pyramid file and from what I read should be up to about 8% the size of the tif and both must be stored in the same folder.

Your screen shot shows a very large .tif file according to the Name column (unless the columns display is not wide enough) but it is being recognized by the file system as Type OVR. 

BarryNorthey_1-1666812086441.png

There does not appear to be an actual tif file in that folder as displayed in the Type column, which might explain why AGP does not see it.

Luke_Pinner
MVP Regular Contributor

Yes, I think @BarryNorthey is right, there's no .tif in that folder.

In your Windows File Explorer, click on the View tab and check "File name extensions" in the Show/hide group.  It looks to me like known file extensions aren't being shown and you only have files with the following extensions in that folder

• .tfw
  • .tif.aux.xml
  • .tif.ovr
  • .tif.xml 
0 Kudos