Unable to log in to ArcGIS Pro: A core license could not be found

Jump to solution
06-18-2019 04:57 PM
MwalimuKaranja
New Contributor II

After a year of being able to freely log in to ArcGIS Pro, I am suddenly unable to log in. At first, I started getting the following error:

The number of licenses assigned to users exceeds the number of licences available in your organization

However, the organization I was logged in to definitely had available licenses and my account was assigned one and I had not taken it offline. The funny thing is, when I log out of that user profile on my laptop then I log into another user profile - I am actually able to log into ArcGIS pro with no problem. However, I absolutely need to be able to log into ArcGIS Pro on my user profile. Based on some advice from my IT department, I uninstalled ArcGIS Pro and deleted all references to Pro from AppData and the registry as advised here.(on assumption that a corrupt user profile was the problem).

This led to a different error:

Invalid URL

and then after a few more tries I got the error in the attachment. I am still able to log in to Pro when I use someone else's Window Profile. However, whenever I try using my profile (with the same AGOL credentials), I get this error:

A core license could not be found. Select another licensing option or contact your administrator to update your licenses.

Might anyone have any insight on how I can sort this out?

11 Replies
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

DSI,

Your issue is different from the initial post.  In your situation, it appears you were able to log into the Enterprise Portal with a Pro license assigned account.  However, it was not able to find a core named user license on the license manager.  Here's what I would do:

1.  Go to Portaladmin.  Verify it's pointing to the correct license manager using the hostname, FQDN or IP Address.

2.  Go to that license manager and verify you have named user licenses on that license manager.  

3.  If there is a firewall between the license manager and client machine where Pro was was installed, you need to configure the license manager to work through the firewall.  This is likely your issue.  Refer to the following documentation on how to do so:  Configure ArcGIS License Manager to work through a firewall—License Manager Guide | Documentation 

You should be able to use the Enterprise named user license once the firewall configuration is in place. 

FYI.  What you're currently doing is using a Pro assigned license account from AGOL to authorize Pro.  Afterward you're connecting to your Enterprise Portal for data access.  You're still using AGOL as the licensing portal.  Once you configure it correctly you can use your Enterprise Portal as your license portal in addition to data portal.  

Let me know if you have additional question on this.

DSIProvince_Nord
New Contributor III

Hi,

Thank you for your advices.

1- In portaladmin everything look fine, I get the right hostname and port 27000

2- In the license manager I properly set up the named users

3- Regarding the firewall, there are no restrictions in communications between my license server and my client machine

Note that the license manager is not located on the portal server machine (this should not be a problem). I am trying to get a license for ArcGIS Pro 2.4.3.

Anyway we will try to update the license manager to 2020.0 instead of actual 2019.0 and AGPro to 2.5.

My main goal is indeed not to use AGOL but Enterprise Portal as a license portal.

Regards

0 Kudos