Unable to log in to ArcGIS Pro: A core license could not be found

Jump to solution
06-18-2019 04:57 PM
MwalimuKaranja
New Contributor II

After a year of being able to freely log in to ArcGIS Pro, I am suddenly unable to log in. At first, I started getting the following error:

The number of licenses assigned to users exceeds the number of licences available in your organization

However, the organization I was logged in to definitely had available licenses and my account was assigned one and I had not taken it offline. The funny thing is, when I log out of that user profile on my laptop then I log into another user profile - I am actually able to log into ArcGIS pro with no problem. However, I absolutely need to be able to log into ArcGIS Pro on my user profile. Based on some advice from my IT department, I uninstalled ArcGIS Pro and deleted all references to Pro from AppData and the registry as advised here.(on assumption that a corrupt user profile was the problem).

This led to a different error:

Invalid URL

and then after a few more tries I got the error in the attachment. I am still able to log in to Pro when I use someone else's Window Profile. However, whenever I try using my profile (with the same AGOL credentials), I get this error:

A core license could not be found. Select another licensing option or contact your administrator to update your licenses.

Might anyone have any insight on how I can sort this out?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Mwalimu,

Try the following:

1.  Open you Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\<local profile>\AppData\Local\ESRI_Licensing.  Rename ESRI_Licensing to ESRI_Licensing_old.

2.  Go to the Registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and rename ESRI hive to ESRI_old.

Upon starting Pro, these files will be created with a default setting, basically resembling a fresh install.  If you still experience the issue, it may be a non-Esri corruption in your profile as Thomas pointed out.  

View solution in original post

11 Replies
ThomasColson
MVP Frequent Contributor

I get this frequently. Unfortunately the only solution we have found is to delete the users local profile on that computer. There is some non-ESRI related corruption going on there. 

AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Mwalimu,

Try the following:

1.  Open you Windows Explorer and go to C:\Users\<local profile>\AppData\Local\ESRI_Licensing.  Rename ESRI_Licensing to ESRI_Licensing_old.

2.  Go to the Registry and navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software and rename ESRI hive to ESRI_old.

Upon starting Pro, these files will be created with a default setting, basically resembling a fresh install.  If you still experience the issue, it may be a non-Esri corruption in your profile as Thomas pointed out.  

MwalimuKaranja
New Contributor II

Dear Amnoy, apologies for taking long to get back to you. Your suggestion turned out to be the very answer I needed. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
MikeCannon
New Contributor

Very helpful. Thanks!!!

0 Kudos
geo_agronomo
New Contributor
Hello,

I have a similar problem I'm trying to log into ArcGIS pro and I get the message the number of licenses assigned to users exceeds the number of licenses available in your organization. Please contact your administrator to configure your organization's licenses. However, the ESRI licensing folder / file does not appear on my computer.

When I check the AGOL page it indicates that my license for arcgis pro advanced has expired, however it should remain valid until November of this year.

Any suggestion?

Greetings
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
JayantaPoddar
MVP Esteemed Contributor

I think there has been recent changes in Organizational Account (AGOL) of ArcGIS for Personal Use, where ArcGIS Pro licensed through "GIS Professional Advanced" User-type, rather than the Add-On license of ArcGIS Pro. User Types: ArcGIS Online 

Recently, I found (in my ArcGIS Online Organizational Account), "GIS Professional Advanced" user-type. Initially I had "Creator" User-type alongwith ArcGIS Pro add-on license (which had expired somehow). Once I unassigned the add-on license (having negative balance), I saw the following message.

JayantaPoddar_0-1627355322896.png

Then, I assigned "GIS Professional Advanced" user-type to my named user.

JayantaPoddar_1-1627355372934.png

Think Location
geo_agronomo
New Contributor

Thanks, through this method I managed to solve the bug.

0 Kudos
AmnoyAm
Esri Regular Contributor

Thomas,

There was a bug with Pro 2.3 that was recently found and fixed in Pro 2.4.  

Reproduction case:

1. Authorize ArcGIS Pro with either single or concurrent-use licensing.
  2. Sign into AGOL.
  3. Switch authorization mode to named user from AGOL.
  4. Restart Pro as prompted.
  5. Sign into AGOL using the same account as step 2. The error message will now be displayed.

The number of licenses assigned to users exceeds the number of licences available in your organization

If you get in this state, follow the suggestion I provided above.  It should get you back to the default state.  Again this issue was found in Pro 2.3 and fixed in Pro 2.4 which should be available very soon.

DSIProvince_Nord
New Contributor III

Hi,

I have a similar issue, after updating ArcGIS Enterprise from 10.6.1 to 10.7.1 and thus License manager to 2019.0, I cannot connect directly ArcGIS Pro 2.4 to my portal to get a named user license. 

I have the same error "A core license could not be found....."

The workaround I found is to connect to my AGOL account, then once AGPro is open, to switch to my portal url.

I put my named users and AGPro license on the portal by downloading the JSON file from MyEsri. I don't have GIS Professionnal user types, only Creators with AGPro additionnal licenses.

Trying to rename localUser data and registry key didn't work in my case. And the issue happened also on a newly installed computer.

I also tried to disable / enable my user's AGPro license through portal.

Any idea ?

0 Kudos