Unable to allocate memory for contour tool?

03-17-2018 03:08 PM
PhilippWickey1
New Contributor

Hello, and thanks for reading my question. I am trying to make a topo map using the contour tool. The dem is 4.29 GB, the contours are separated every 20ft. Error messages include "unable to allocate memory" and "erroe in executing grid expression". Any pointers all are appreciated, thanks.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
DanPatterson_Retired
MVP Emeritus

Are you running this in ArcMap or PRO?

Background Geoprocessing enabled?

File Geodatabase?

How much memory do you have?

Have you tried on a much smaller section and monitored your system resources when it was running?

I suspect it is just too big for what you want to do given what you have and are using.  Tiling(?) might be an option

PhilippWickey1
New Contributor

Thanks so much,

I am using ArcMap 10.5.1

Background processing enabled

File Geodatabase? I made a new gdb specifically for the contours, if that is what you mean.

Installed memory RAM 6GB (5.89 usable), (I am not storing any pics, vids or anything with a lot of data)

I have not tried a smaller section, but I will.

Thanks again, and my apologies for not mentioning that background info, I forget that is sometimes needed.

Cheers

0 Kudos
XanderBakker
Esri Esteemed Contributor

Since you are using ArcMap (which is a 32 bit application) you will not have access to all the RAM installed. Most likely you have access to ArcGIS Pro too. This is the new 64 bit application which can use the available RAM.

Another thing to take into account, is that having the background processing enabled sometimes causes problems. You could try with the background geoprocessing disabled. 

Also please post the complete error message with the error number, normally there will be a link provided to find out more about what might be causing the problem.

What resolution (pixel size) does your DEM have?