Trouble with Spatial Index and Feature Class extent

Jump to solution
12-16-2021 10:28 AM
JacobTaylor3
New Contributor III

Hello, so I was following this How To (How To: Convert slopes with a certain range of slope degree from a DEM file to a polygon feature cla...

which I had done a few times at this point since I was working with a number of different areas. When finishing the area, I was taking the slope and merging it into a single feature to clip it against another feature. When attempting to merge this later layer, I ran into the following error:

"Merge Features Failed. The spatial index grid size is invalid  [Feature name]."

Thinking this could be resolved, I then recalculated the spatial index in the catalog menu, and tried again. Same error. I tried deleting the spatial index and trying again. Same error. I went out and tried to recalculate the spatial index through the geoprocess, which worked, but when I attempted a merge, I got the same error. I tried to use the tool: Recalculate Feature Class Extent, but I got a new error :

ERROR 160706: Cannot acquire a lock.

The file is in a File Geodatabase just like the previous attempts. The merge function works without errors in certain small areas of the project extent on the same file, it just can't be used on any meaningfully large section or in any predictable way for the smaller sections.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Leaving calculating the spatial index and checking the geometry of each input file prior to merging.... or

doing the above, but using union

Union (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If that doesn't work

use Merge to new raster and do the slope stuff from it (unless it is horrendously large

... sort of retired...

View solution in original post

4 Replies
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Did you run a Check Geometry and Repair if necessary?

... sort of retired...
0 Kudos
JacobTaylor3
New Contributor III

Thanks for the advice, I ran check geometry and no problems came up.

0 Kudos
DanPatterson
MVP Esteemed Contributor

Leaving calculating the spatial index and checking the geometry of each input file prior to merging.... or

doing the above, but using union

Union (Analysis)—ArcGIS Pro | Documentation

If that doesn't work

use Merge to new raster and do the slope stuff from it (unless it is horrendously large

... sort of retired...
JacobTaylor3
New Contributor III

Thank you, I appreciate the help. I'll give this a try when I get the chance. I found a workaround that I used, but I was still trying to figure out why my original method didn't work. Either way, I'm going to mark that as the accepted solution. Thanks

0 Kudos