Select to view content in your preferred language

Trouble Opening Locators (.loc, .lox, .loc.xml)

08-08-2022 10:32 AM
MinsooKang
New Contributor

I am new to ArcGIS, and I needed to use it for my research project.

I use ArcGIS Pro 3.0.0.

I received a set of locator files consisting of *.lox, *.loc, and *.loc.xml from a data source, and I am having trouble opening the locator.

I put them all in the project folder, and tried to load it to the project, but I am getting an error saying "Locator is not supported." I cannot figure out what the issue is. Could someone point me to resources or let me know how I can open the locator?

1 Reply
ShanaBritt
Esri Regular Contributor

@MinsooKang The locator that you received is a classic locator that was created with the Create Address Locator tool, which is no longer supported in ArcGIS Pro 3.0. The classic locators consist of three files (*.loc, *.lox, *.loc.xml) and are supported in ArcGIS Pro 2.9 or earlier. ArcGIS Pro 3.0 only supports locators created with the Create Locator tool or the Create Feature Locator tool and consist of two files (*.loc, *.loz). 

Please share this deprecation notice with the entity you received the locator from so that they can recreate the locators for you using the Create Locator tool, https://support.esri.com/en/Technical-Article/000027452. The other option is to use ArcGIS Pro 2.9 if they are unable to provide you with the newer locators. Another option would be to create your own locator if they are able to provide the data they used to build the locator. Below are some resources: