Select to view content in your preferred language

Topographic basemap exporting to PDF with blurred letters

07-21-2023 03:48 PM
Labels (1)
HollyTorpey_LSA
Occasional Contributor III

In the last week or so, we have seen this weird result when we export a PDF of a layout with the Topographic basemap. Certain letters are gray blobs while everything else looks fine. We do not have this problem with the Streets basemap. Changing the scale weirdly results in different letters being blurred. Any ideas what's going on?

HollyTorpey_LSA_0-1689979296586.png

- Holly
5 Replies
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Interesting! Do the blurry letters show up in the layout view too or only in the exported PDF?

Cheers,
Aubri
HollyTorpey_LSA

Only in the export! The layout looks fine.

Interestingly, I had a similar problem recently with some vector point symbols I had added. They looked great on my layout, but on export to PDF, they were gray blobs just like the letters on the Topographic basemap. I was unable to resolve it and ended up having to ditch my symbols.

I'm in Pro 3.1.2, by the way.

- Holly
0 Kudos
AubriKinghorn
Esri Regular Contributor

Well that's not good! I'm sorry you had to ditch the symbols. It sounds like you might have a settings issue. There can be problems when opening PDF with fonts that aren't licensed or installed on the machine. 

To avoid this we recommend checking the Embed fonts option when exporting. This may help with your symbols as well. Additionally checking the Convert marker symbols to polygons box may be useful.

If that doesn't work, another option would be to rasterize your entire PDF document by checking output as image. This will still generate a PDF, but it won't have any vector content so you won't be able to turn things on and off or have the labels automatically read. 

If you are still seeing the problem after trying this options I recommend reaching out to technical support. It's possible there is a bug in the software that needs to be addressed. Technical support has the resources to troubleshoot for bugs and to get the issue to the right team to fix.

Cheers,
Aubri
0 Kudos
HollyTorpey_LSA

Thanks, Aubri. The saved preset I was using does have "Embed fonts" checked. I tried the "Output as image" option and can confirm that this does solve the problem. Thank you!

- Holly
0 Kudos
GB_-_JonathanJew__GISS_
New Contributor II

This still seems to be an issue. (Pro 3.2.1) 

Embed Fonts was checked. Layout view looks fine.  Interestingly, the blurred out symbols are not just reserved to the labels. I have a symbol in a copy/pasted excel table that is exporting blacked out as well. 

Exporting as an image does fix the issue, but does have drawbacks where I would prefer not have to rely on. 

GB__JonathanJew__GISS__0-1719336707360.png

GB__JonathanJew__GISS__1-1719336728523.png

0 Kudos