Time Aware layer not displaying correctly in layout view

Jump to solution
09-20-2021 06:29 AM
Labels (2)
JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

I have a layer that was created in SDE and served up as a Hosted Feature Layer.  It was time aware when I did it.  Now the layer appears to be locked in a certain time frame.  Even though I have certain features that have been added they don't display properly in layout view.  

I attached a screenshot.  I am able to change the display and slider in map view including in the time menu at the top ribbon.  I am not however able to change the time extent in Layer properties.  In layout view the ribbon settings do not carry forward and the map seems to default to the layer properties adjusted time extent. 

Does anyone know how to overcome this?  I'm guessing it has something to do with how the hosted feature layer was created.  The layer does appear to display correctly in ArcGIS Online. 

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Sounds like there are a number of things going on. I'm not aware of any outstanding issues as you describe. Seems like there may be an issue with the layer itself with not being able to change the Time Extent.  You may be right that this has something to do with how the SDE layer (and how the underlaying database handle time) and how this was published. This is out of my area of expertise unfortunately.

With the layout I can hopefully add some context. Time, as well as extent, are properties that derive from the original map. However, when you display the map in multiple map view, or map frames, the extent (both time and space) can be different for each view of the map. For example, you can have a map view showing one time extent (Jan-May) while a map frame shows a different time extent (Sep-Oct). Though derived from the same underlying map, map views and map frames are independent.

In order to change the time extent on map frame in a layout you will first need to active the map frame. With an activated map frame you should be able to adjust the Time range for this particular view of your map - separate from any other view of the same map.

It was not clear on whether or not the map frame on the layout was active when attempting to use the Time controls. Was the map frame active when you tried to change the time extent?

Hope this helps, 

Tom

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomBole
Esri Regular Contributor

Hi Josh, 

Sounds like there are a number of things going on. I'm not aware of any outstanding issues as you describe. Seems like there may be an issue with the layer itself with not being able to change the Time Extent.  You may be right that this has something to do with how the SDE layer (and how the underlaying database handle time) and how this was published. This is out of my area of expertise unfortunately.

With the layout I can hopefully add some context. Time, as well as extent, are properties that derive from the original map. However, when you display the map in multiple map view, or map frames, the extent (both time and space) can be different for each view of the map. For example, you can have a map view showing one time extent (Jan-May) while a map frame shows a different time extent (Sep-Oct). Though derived from the same underlying map, map views and map frames are independent.

In order to change the time extent on map frame in a layout you will first need to active the map frame. With an activated map frame you should be able to adjust the Time range for this particular view of your map - separate from any other view of the same map.

It was not clear on whether or not the map frame on the layout was active when attempting to use the Time controls. Was the map frame active when you tried to change the time extent?

Hope this helps, 

Tom

JoshWhite
Regular Contributor III

Thanks Tom.  I didn't think to activate the map frame in layout view.  It is odd to me that the layer in map view doesn't come forward to the layout view.  This is the case with virtually every other thing set in the map view.  Typically the only thing I change in the layout view is the extent of the map in layout view.  I'll have to remember this.  Clearly there is still something a bit odd about my layer but this is an acceptable workaround.  

Josh White, AICP
Principal Planner

City of Arkansas City
0 Kudos