Sync Feature Service Symbology in Pro Project with Changes Made in ArcGIS Online

Jump to solution
07-02-2021 07:28 AM
by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I have a feature service on ArcGIS Online that regularly get's updated. Specifically, new symbols are added to the symbology (i.e. I'll add a new type of point or change an existing one). This feature service is also in a ArcGIS Pro Project that I use to print maps. I added it to the Pro Project using the service URL of the AGO feature service - so it's directly connected to the AGO layer. However, I'm not sure how to automatically sync the symbology that is in ArcGIS Online with the symbology in the Pro project. Anytime I make a change to the symbology on AGO, it doesn't update in the Pro Project -- even after I open and close the project. Every time I make a change in AGO, I have to remove and re-add the Feature Service in the Pro project. This is very time consuming so I'm looking for a way for it to automatically update when the AGO symbology is updated. 

I attached two images as examples, Capture1 is what the symbology looks like for the feature service in the Pro project and Capture2 is how it should look (based on the updated symbology of the AGO layer.

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

I am not sure of the best solution for updating the layer itself, but you may find the workflow smoother if you work with a web map instead. You can create a webmap in ArcGIS Online that contains your symbolized layer. Add that web map to your project in ArcGIS Pro.

Whenever you want to push changes from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online, go to the Share tab on the ribbon. In the Manage group, click Save Web Map.

HeatherSmith_0-1625239928830.png

Whenever you want to pull changes from ArcGIS Online to ArcGIS Pro, go to the Catalog pane > Project tab > Maps folder. Right-click on the web map and choose Update.

HeatherSmith_1-1625239993929.png

The link icon on the map icon tells you that it's a link to a web map, instead of one stored locally in the project.

If you take this method, any symbology changes you make will be applied to the layer's instance in that map, but not to the layer itself. So if you need to use this layer in lots of different maps, this workflow may not work for you.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
HeatherSmith
Esri Contributor

I am not sure of the best solution for updating the layer itself, but you may find the workflow smoother if you work with a web map instead. You can create a webmap in ArcGIS Online that contains your symbolized layer. Add that web map to your project in ArcGIS Pro.

Whenever you want to push changes from ArcGIS Pro to ArcGIS Online, go to the Share tab on the ribbon. In the Manage group, click Save Web Map.

HeatherSmith_0-1625239928830.png

Whenever you want to pull changes from ArcGIS Online to ArcGIS Pro, go to the Catalog pane > Project tab > Maps folder. Right-click on the web map and choose Update.

HeatherSmith_1-1625239993929.png

The link icon on the map icon tells you that it's a link to a web map, instead of one stored locally in the project.

If you take this method, any symbology changes you make will be applied to the layer's instance in that map, but not to the layer itself. So if you need to use this layer in lots of different maps, this workflow may not work for you.

by Anonymous User
Not applicable

I had no idea adding in web maps was possible. This was extremely helpful and works well for what I'm trying to accomplish. Thanks!

0 Kudos